Teens Sleeping in Could Save the USA $9 Billion a Year

Teens need 8-10 hours of sleep each night, and most of us are not getting that. A study done by the National Sleep Foundation, shows that teens have a hard time falling asleep before 11pm, meaning that if you need to be at school by 8am you're most likely not getting enough sleep. 

A study by the Washington Post shows that if schools started no later than 8:30am our country, could save an estimated $9 billion each year. They calculated that later start times would result in less car accidents, less money spent on school buses, and better academic performance. Since most school districts start highschool students earlier than elementary aged students. Ditching the system we've been using, of getting everyone at the school the same time, whether they start actual classes in 5 or 30 minutes could save us tons of money. If we had staggered bus schedules we could save money on drivers and buses. That is around $150 per student saved! And that's just one of the many ways the U.S could save the same amount of money as the annual revenue of Major League Baseball 

Do you think schools should start later? Why or why not?
Do you think sleeping in would actually improve academic and sport & music performance?

Read the story:

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/teens-sleeping-in-economic-benefits-study

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• 1. Yes so kids can get more sleep and get to school safer

2. Yes because they can pay attention 

• I think that school should start later, not just because it could save money, but because it is hard to concentrate and do your best without the proper amount of sleep. I think that sleeping in would improve academic scores because more sleep means more concentration. More concentration means that the brain is able to work and solve problems faster and more efficiently.

• Schools definitely should start later, because most of us are not morning people, some of us are night owls, and like our sleep. (including me) And sleeping in would definitely increase performance in academics and sports, because we would not be as tired as with the current school starting times.
This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker