Alejandro Villanueva is taking rap for standing and honoring the national anthem when the rest of the team protested it and refused to do it. Their coach says that he was looking for 100% participation and that he didn't have the right to be disrespectful to the team. Villanueva was the only football player to break from the teams orders and honor our national anthem. Derick Wolfe says he would stand during the national anthem Sunday because  "I stand because I respect the men who died in real battle so I have the freedom to battle on the field...but everyone these days likes to find a reason to protest and that’s their right".  

What do you think about the Steeler's  decision to not stand for the national anthem?

I think that it is a foolish way to protest something when you disrespect the men and women who die to protect you and keep you free. I feel that there are far better ways to protest than this. this is just disrespectful and I honestly don't think the coach of that team should be in his job still. 

Do you believe that he did the right thing or that he should have gone with the teams decision?  I respect Villanueva's decision to stand even when the rest of his team did not. I feel he did the right thing and i hope that many other people can learn and follow his example. 

Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good story choice! Be sure to explain who the person is in the first paragraph. Also be sure to capitalize words in your title. You also didn't reply to any student comments.

• 1. Honestly, I think the decision to protest during the national anything is not right. I understand the reason the players, and many other people, want to have this protest, but I don't think they should dishonor the people who have served and are serving for our country. I think these people and players have a right to protest, but I also think they should do it in a time where we are not remembering the people who have died for us. 

2. I respect that Alejandro went against his team and stood during the national anthem. It takes a lot of guts to stand up for what you believe in, but it really takes guts when you are going against your whole team in front of thousands of fans. In my opinion, Villanueva was right for standing and honoring the people who serve for us.  

• I think that this way of protesting is better than the way most protest have gone in past years. Plus, these guys are big figures in society and they can make a change so I think it's a good idea to protest peacefully but personally I wouldn't kneel. I think that there is no right or wrong here. It was everyone on the teams decision and it was his own decision. 

• I believe that it's a rather foolish decision to disrespect the national anthem and to disrespect the people that fought for them to have this right, but it's their right their decision. I believe he did the right thing as it was his decision and it's his right, but he chose to respect the anthem and the people who fought for everyone's right.

• I understand that everyone has a choice in what they do, but I was taught that we should honor our country and be respectful by standing, facing the flag, and putting our right hand over our heart to show our support. I think that the Steeler's team members should've decided for themselves whether or not they wished to stand or kneel. Each player should've respected the other's decisions no matter what. I think that Villanueva did the right thing because he followed his beliefs and didn't give in the decision of his teammates. He shouldn't receive a punishment for using his right to choose what to do and what not to do.

• It doesn't mind me that they didn't stand for the flag, but if I were them, I would stand. It is their choice to what they want to do. I feel like Villanueva made the correct decision to stand for the country's flag, because he is not getting all of this hate, his team is. 

• I think its ok and I think that it was a good idea to sit in the locker room instead of just standing in front of everyone during the anthem. It was a good call to do that. I think if the rest of the team choose not to stand its ok. Yes I think that they are trying to make a point about it though. 

• 1. I think they were being disrespectful to the flag and the people who fought for us. I think that they should stand and support, even though they have the right to protest.

2. I think he did the right thing. Like everybody else, he was standing up for what he believes. Everybody was rapping on him for standing up for what he believes when they are all doing the same thing, just a different opinion.

• I think the idea of not standing for the national anthem is disrespectful, but actually following through with it is horrible and extremely dishonorable. I think the Steeler's decision was very childish and they should all be punished for not standing during the song, except Villanueva. He was the only person to stand against what he believes and show true American patriotism. I think that the players who took a knee should be kicked off the team. This was a very wrong thing to do, and people who participated in not honoring those who have died for us, should feel the effects. 

• I think that it is stupid that they don't stand for the national anthem because it disrespects all the men and women who help this country be free, if they want to get back at Trump there has to be some other way. I think he did the right thing especially because he used to be part of the army.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker