Spanking An Infant Changes Behavior As Teen

It's very important that parents refrain from physical punishment as it can have long-lasting impacts. I was spanked as a child i believe i'm better from it, i'm not saying don't spank your kids, i'm saying if there's a different way you can handle the problem do it that way.Gustavo Carlo studied the long-term ramifications of spanking and other forms of physical discipline. While previous studies have shown spanking can have negative effects on child development in the short term, Carl's "Study found children who faced physical discipline in infancy could continue to see negative effects into their teen years. The study looked at data from 1,840 mothers and children. Info was collected on children at 15 months old and 25 month old, and in 5th grade.  The study found that African-American children who were severely punished at 15 months were more likely to be delinquent and aggressive in fifth grade. They were also less likely to help others. My mom tried everything before she spanked me or my sisters and most of the time when we got in trouble she would talk with us ask us why we did it and how we were going to fix it and we listened to the talks she didn't have to spank us unless everything else didn't work. In most situations it wasn't needed. Talks worked just as well as spanking. I also was not saying spanking was child abuse, spanking is ok unless you can do something else you haven't tried yet. I'm saying try other things before you turn to spanking your child. 

Say your child got into something that was not there's? How would you handle that problem? Would you spank them for it or have a talk with them?

Now say if your child back talked to you, Would you talk to them about it the first time? If it happened again would it be ok for you to spank them?

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/08/02/spanking-infant-changes-behavior-as-teen.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I understand that people think of spanking as a violent way to punish children, but many other options don't get through to the children. Say you tell them to go into the corner or make them lay in their bed and think about what they did. Most children will just sit there empty minded or think of other things. You don't defiantly know that they got the message of what they did was wrong. Or you yell at them and they don't listen to half of what you are saying. Many children have been spanked by their parents and they turn out just fine, are hardworking and know discipline.

• I understand there is a difference between punishment and abuse, My mother used physical punishment when necessary but also utilized other forms of punishment. My mother has not abused me and i believe i am better from the way she raised me and i'm sure most kids do turn out fine. but according to this study not all of them do and physical punishment has been scientifically proven to be one of the contributors to these bad behaviors. 

• look I under stand why people are doing this but they are going about this whole child abuse thing all wrong. i was spanked by my daycare and my mother and father. and I am better for it. children need to learn some lessons the hard way. now punching or brusing your child THATS abuse spanking has been used for ages and we are all still alive. my parents were spanked by belts as kids. and yours probibly were to. kids these day are growing up in a world thats all good and no bad and when they do get to adults it will be bad for them to have grown up this way. not trying to be mean but thats just my view.

• I understand your view and the story i did didn't say anything about child abuse it was just saying that the behavior can be different when there teens 

• Look, I understand that this is bad but. Kids these days are so spoiled I honestly think they SHOULD spank the kids but only if they're a brat. 

I was disciplined as a child and my little sister wasn't. She has more then once disrespected my parents, I have yet to do so they say. 

so yeah.

Spank ya kids.

• I understand that but there are other ways to take care of that like put them in a corner or ground them or take away the things they love like there phone. Talking to them is better then spanking them. I know that i wouldn't want my child to be aggressive in there teen years.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker