Revolutionary Zero1 Football Helmets May Reduce Brain Injuries

For many years Football helmets did a great job at preventing scull fractures, but haven't been very helpful to a player when it comes to brain injuries. Football helmets today just aren't designed to do that, in result many kids across the country do not play anymore in fear of long term effects. The new Zero1 helmet is designed to make the game safer with four layers to the helmet. The 1st layer deforms when it is hit, slowing the impact, the second layer is a softer reflex layer for absorption. The last two layers are to protect against skull fractures with a thin hard shell and for comfort with a soft padding on the inside. Although the price of this helmet is $1500 per helmet I think this helmet can change the game.

The Story

1. How well do you think this new helmet will work?

2. Do you think high schools will buy these new expensive helmets?

I think this helmet will work a lot better than the traditional helmets we are using now, I think high schools will buy a few helmets every year because it is too expensive to buy everyone the Zero1.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes there is no way to tell right now if these helmets will definitely help long term yet. I was thinking that just like the band does, we can have a fundraiser just for these helmets. 

• They have always been trying to make advancements to helmets so I don't know but I hope it will work well because a lot of football injures are concussions. If the helmet works and do help decrease brain injury than yes I do think that schools will buy the helmets because they want what is best for the students playing.

• I think that this new kind of helmet could be great, but the price is a little high for every high school in the U.S. to pay for. A lot of students every year play football and would be a lot of money for the school to be spending on helmets. I think it will work better then the helmets worn now, but it wont protect 100% or take away the risk of long term brain injury.

• I think that it will work very good because it seems like the producers thought a lot when making them.

I don't think that high schools will buy these helmets because they are so expensive, but like you said I think it would be a good idea to buy a few each year.

• I think that this helmet it a great idea, for professionals, I don't think that they are very cost effective and so many people will not purchase them. Many years ago our helmets that were just cloth were considered top of the line, like those I think that this will over time have a lower price and become the normal or even un-safe version. We are always looking for new ways to be safe and so one day I think these will become obsolete.

• I think they will work well at preventing brain injuries and protecting players. I dont think schools will pay that much for a helmet because most football programs have upwards of 100 players  

• I think the helmet would work very well to prevent anyone from getting concussion. I think schools would buy just few to start with, then a few years later, buy enough for their  entire football team.

• I think this helmet would work very well but is too expensive to be reasonable for a high school to pay for, especially when most high schools are not nearly as big as the ones in major citys and large states. 

• I think that the helmet should improve the safety of the players and they will not have to worry so much about getting skull fractures.

I think that if the research is put to the test and the helmet holds up to the test, so the schools will invest in the new helmets.

• I think this helmet has the potential to be a real game changer, literally. Not only will parents feel safer letting their children go out for the sport, kids will also be able to play longer with fewer brain injuries. As of now, I don't think any sensible high schools will waste their money on this helmet. It's far too expensive, but as the price decreases, why wouldn't schools invest in the helmets? 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker