A strange and unique strain of the bird flu has traveled through New York’s animal shelters. Officials in the city have quarantined approximately 500 cats in order to stop the outbreak. Currently, 386 of these felines have tested positive for the H7N2 virus, also known as the bird flu. This is the first time that the disease has been detected in cats. It all started with Alfred, a Bronx shelter adoptee who first became sick in October. Him and two others have died from the virus. However, the workers have no plans to put down any of the sick cats. Instead, they plan to treat all of them! This has surprised the entire medical staff. So far, it is unclear as to how Alfred, the original host of the virus, caught H7N2. Workers wear hazmat suits whenever they are near or around the animals, even though the virus is said to be only slightly contagious to humans. These cats were collected from shelters located all around the city over the last two months. They have been taken to a facility in Long Island City, which was constructed by two animal care centers. All are being tested and it is said that the process could take up to almost three months. Aw, poor cats!

1. Do you think that it is good that they are treating all of the cats instead of putting them down? Why or why not?

2. Since they aren’t putting any of the cats down, why do you think treating the cats is important?

3. Would you be scared to work with the cats considering they are infected with a virus?

4. How does this story make you feel?

My answers:

[1&2:] I think that it is awesome that they are treating all of the cats! Even though it is a big challenge, the animal shelters are stepping up and making a difference. I think that it is also important that they treat the cats so it doesn’t continue to spread throughout the city. Not only are they helping the lives of the infected cats, but they are also securing the lives of other felines throughout the area.

[3]. I would be a little nervous to work with the cats. Even though the virus is only slightly transmittable to humans, being sick isn’t fun. Although, if it would help the animals, I would defiantly help!

[4]. This story made me sad at first, but once I found out that the shelters were going to treat all the cats, it made me relieved and happy. Hopefully the virus doesn’t spread further!

Story link: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/01/13/city-quarantines-hundreds-cats-amid-bird-flu-outbreak.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Super job Emma!

• I think it's great that they treat all of the cats instead of putting them down, but it's not an implicitness. It's expensive and time consuming. It's important though that they try to fight the virus so it won't spread out in the whole city. I would be scarred to treat them and work in that shelter even though it's not very contagious for humans, but I think it's very honorable that they willingly do that to prevent the virus form spreading.

• well I don't know. Because one hand your helping the animals get rid of the sickness so they cant get it again, but It is risking them to spread it to other animals.

Well they want the cats to build an immune to the virus so it cant happen again.

I would be cautions working with a lot of cats with a virus

• The cats are being treated in a facility so that it doesn't spread to other animals. I think that it isn't good for other cats to be roaming around the street with the virus because other animals could easily catch it. You made a good point about the cats building an immune system to the virus. I hadn't thought about that before!

• I think it's great that they're trying to save the cats instead of putting them down, not only because you're saving the cats, but because they might be able to learn how to combat the disease better if it were to affect humans. I would probably be a little nervous working with the cats, but if I had all the right safety equipment, I would totally be willing to help. This made me sad at first, too, but I love how people are doing everything they can to help the cats.

• You made a good point about not only combating the virus in cats, but in humans as well.

• Oh no! That's so sad! On the other hand, I am very glad they are treating the cats so the virus does not spread in addition to more cats. I personally think cats are adorable and fabulous animals. It is important to me that people are trying to help them instead of just giving up. Thank you to those who are helping because I don't know if I could handle it. I would obviously love to help but since I have no professional experience what so ever, I really don't think I would be too much help. 

• I would love to help too!:(  I honestly don't think I could handle being around that many sick animals because it makes me sad. Do you think that there are people out there who believe treating the animals is a bad idea instead of a good one?

• In this scenario, it is a better decision to treat the cats instead of putting them down. Especially, since they're being confined and out of reach from the public. They might even be able to find the cause of the outbreak while treating them, eventually preventing any future incidents. I would be a bit alarmed to work alongside the cats, but considering the cause, I would try to help out as well.  The story is bitter, but thankfully the cats are being tended to.

• I would be a little scared to work with the cats too...Would it be hard to be around them because they are sick, or rather because it would be sad to see that many sick animals?

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker