A strange and unique strain of the bird flu has traveled through New York’s animal shelters. Officials in the city have quarantined approximately 500 cats in order to stop the outbreak. Currently, 386 of these felines have tested positive for the H7N2 virus, also known as the bird flu. This is the first time that the disease has been detected in cats. It all started with Alfred, a Bronx shelter adoptee who first became sick in October. Him and two others have died from the virus. However, the workers have no plans to put down any of the sick cats. Instead, they plan to treat all of them! This has surprised the entire medical staff. So far, it is unclear as to how Alfred, the original host of the virus, caught H7N2. Workers wear hazmat suits whenever they are near or around the animals, even though the virus is said to be only slightly contagious to humans. These cats were collected from shelters located all around the city over the last two months. They have been taken to a facility in Long Island City, which was constructed by two animal care centers. All are being tested and it is said that the process could take up to almost three months. Aw, poor cats!

1. Do you think that it is good that they are treating all of the cats instead of putting them down? Why or why not?

2. Since they aren’t putting any of the cats down, why do you think treating the cats is important?

3. Would you be scared to work with the cats considering they are infected with a virus?

4. How does this story make you feel?

My answers:

[1&2:] I think that it is awesome that they are treating all of the cats! Even though it is a big challenge, the animal shelters are stepping up and making a difference. I think that it is also important that they treat the cats so it doesn’t continue to spread throughout the city. Not only are they helping the lives of the infected cats, but they are also securing the lives of other felines throughout the area.

[3]. I would be a little nervous to work with the cats. Even though the virus is only slightly transmittable to humans, being sick isn’t fun. Although, if it would help the animals, I would defiantly help!

[4]. This story made me sad at first, but once I found out that the shelters were going to treat all the cats, it made me relieved and happy. Hopefully the virus doesn’t spread further!

Story link: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/01/13/city-quarantines-hundreds-cats-amid-bird-flu-outbreak.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Treating the cats instead of putting them down is could because maybe a long time down the road they will find someway to treat the cats. They could save a lot of cats lives. Also, I would not be scared of the virus just because i would have to wear certain material that wont get the virus on you and just wash your hands and be safe. I feel that this story is sad but also good because they are treating the cats and also in a way saving their lives. I also agree that it was sad but I also feel like its hopeful.

• I think it's good that they are helping the cats as well. Why do you think someone wouldn't like the idea of saving the cats?

• I think it's good to treat the cats instead of putting them down because they could possibly find a cure for the disease by treating them. If they just put down all of the sick cats, then they would never find a cure. I also think that it's good that they are being treated so the virus doesn't spread to more animals. I would be a little scared working with the infected cats even though I would be wearing a protective suit because there still could be a way to get sick. I agree that the story was sad at first because the cats are sick but it turned out to be a hopeful story at the end because they are being treated.

• I totally agree! Not only are they helping the cats, but they are also learning more about the virus. It's a win-win situation.

• Bump

• I think it is a good idea to treat all of the cats but it will cost a lot of  money to give them what they need, but where is the money coming from? I think it is important to the people doing this because most of them came from shelters. It depends where I am at because the cats that have this problem are in New York. I feel glad that people are trying to put an end to this but three months is a long time to work on all of the cats.

• I agree that the treatment will be expensive, but I think that it is impressive that they are trying to make a difference. Do you think it's worth it?

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker