Due to recent comments from our countries leader Donald Trump, players have been protesting during the national anthem before games. Donald Trump stated that any player that decides to kneel during the national anthem should be fired or released immediately from the team he played on. These comments have only increased the amount of protesting throughout the league. 

This past Sunday the Pittsburgh Steelers were scheduled to play the Chicago Bears. Just like every other game the players warmed up, but their was still something different about this pre-game. Almost the entire Steelers team decided to to show up for the national anthem. They just stayed in the locker room until kickoff. Only one player lined up on the sideline with his hand over his heart for the anthem. When asked about it Mike Tomlin, Steelers head coach, said "  people shouldn't have to choose, if a guy wants to go about his normal business and participate in the anthem, he shouldn't be forced to choose sides." 

The only Steelers player to stand was, Army Ranger,  Alejandro Villanueva. He served three tours in Afghanistan. He is a recipient of the Bronze Star medal for overseas service and the Bronze Star medal for valor. 

Link to article

1. Do you think it is better to kneel during the national anthem, or to not even show up?

2. How would you feel if you were in Villanueva's shoes?

3. Did Mike Tomlin make a good decision, on keeping the team in the locker room?

I think it is better to let your players decide if they want to kneel or not. If they want to protest let them. It is not fair to some of the players to be kept in the locker room. If I was Villanueva U would feel bad because he served our country and there are people that won't even stand up for the national anthem.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it is more important to at least show up when our nations anthem is being played. Not showing up is just as or even more disrespectful as kneeling.

• 1) I think they should show up and kneel if they want to because they have a right and it's their own decision.

2) I would feel proud because I'm showing respect towards my country.

3) Yes, because other wise people would start other things and a bad reputation for the team.

• I believe that players have the right to protest peacefully and however they want too. I understand why the one steelers player wanted to stand during the national anthem. 

• This reply was deleted.
        • I feel like kneeling and protesting won't make that big of a difference though. Eventually nobody will pay attention to you and you will probably just end up standing again.

• Hopefully it doesn't last that long. I think that next week more players on the Steelers will stand up with their teammate and show him some respect. Is it a coincidence that the one game they skip the national anthem, they lose their first game? I think not.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker