Nurse Arrested for Doing Her Job

Alex Wubble was the charge nurse on the night of July 26th when two officers came in asking to get a blood sample from an unconscious patient, which is against the hospital policy. The hospital policy is that the police must have a warrant, consent from the patient, or the patient must be under arrest, which the patient was not. Wubble then proceeded to call her supervisor where they told the police the same exact things. The police then arrested Wubble, where she sat in the police car for 20 minutes but was then let ago with no charges. The hospital policy has now been changed to one that the police are using, but it was not stated what the new policy is in the article. Wubble released the video in hope to raise awareness of the hospital policy. The police chief and the mayor have now apologized for this incident. 

Questions: 

1.) If you were Wubble what would you have done in this situation? 

2.) Would you press charges against these officers? Why or why not?

Answers:

If I was Wubble I would have done the same exact thing she did. I know what it is like to not be able to let someone do something because of the policy of the building you work in. It is difficult to not let them do it when you know they are just doing their job. There is no reason why the police should have acted like that, Wubble was just trying to do her job. I myself would press charges against the police officers. They did the wrong thing and need to understand that their actions have consequences. 

Click here to read the rest of the story and watch the video

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would've called my lawyer and the hospital administration since that's against the policy. Yes, the police officers didn't have a warrant and the patient was unconscious so they should've known that was against the law. Since more than one person told them no, they had no right to arrest the nurse for doing her job. I think the two police officers should get fired from this incident. 

• I think calling a lawyer would have been a smart thing to do in that situation. I know at some facilities they have a Director of Nursing (Don) so I think if they had a DON, they should have also been called. I do believe that the two officers have been put on suspension and are on it until the case is finished. 

• I would have done the same thing, because that's the policy of that particular hospital. The police should not have arrested her, just for doing her job. I would definitely press charges on the cops, because they were doing the wrong thing, and did not have a warrant to take a blood sample from an unconscious patient that wasn't even under arrest.
    • I agree, the nurse was just doing what the hospital policy said to do. There was nothing she could have done to let them get the blood sample they needed. I think that in any hospital they should have the same policy, because they are violating the patients right. I think pressing charges is the right thing to do in this situations because the police had to right to attack her the way they did. 

• 1. I would still follow the hospital policy of not drawing blood of the patent unless they had a warren

2. Yes, because we would had explain the policy and we even ask the person in charge to explain too.  

• If I were in her situation, I would have done the same thing too. The nurse was doing what she thought was right in that moment, and her decision makes sense. I think the police officers were in the wrong and should have to apologize to Wubble and be suspended or something.

• I completely agree, the nurse shouldn't have gotten in trouble for just doing her job. I think every nurse at any type of facility would have done the same thing. I just watched another video on this the other day and I do think that the police chief apologized for their actions. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker