NFL players taking the kneel during the National Anthem

On Sunday morning Donald tweeted out that NFL organizations should be suspending or releasing player who take a kneel. As The NFL kicked off early this Sunday in London with the ravens vs. jaguars. Both teams took theirs chance to show how they felt upon the situation. Many Baltimore players took the kneel and locked arms in unity defying the presidents wishes. While the Jacksonville Jaguars took a different approach, most of the team stood and locked arms still showing the teams unity and passion on the subject.

Read more here

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/24/us/nfl-trump-take-knee-protests/index.html

Questions

1. Do you think its all right for players to take the kneel?

2. Do you agree with the presidents comments?

3. What would you do if you were on a team and the National Anthem is playing?

I personally believe it is more than all right for them to stand up for what they believe in. I don't think they are disrespecting the flag or anthem because they are not kneeling for that reason but because someone is attacking their profession. I do and I do not agree with the presidents comments, I do because he has a right to say what he believes because this is America. I do not because he is attacking someone else's belief and that is not ok because this is America and people have the right to believe in what they believe in. I would stand for the anthem because I have family members in the service and I want to always respect what those men and women do for this great nation.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and good summary! You only commented on one day and then stopped after September 24th.

• Personally, I don't think players should kneel during the national anthem. It's disrespectful to our country. I think we take for granted the freedom and independence we have in this country. I do agree with the President's comments and I think everyone should respect his decision because HE is the President. If I was on a team I would not hesitate to stand and honor our nation.

• I do not think it is right for players to kneel during the national anthem. It is extremely disrespectful especially to all of those who have served for our country. This is America and I think we all need to show more respect to our country and honor it as we are very lucky. I don't know if Trump should have made these comments as it will cause many people to rebel but he can say whatever he wants as long as it is out of respect. If I was on the team I would definitely stand. I would probably be disappointed with those on my team who didn't stand. 

• 1. I think it is extremely dishonorable for players to kneel during the National Anthem. Many people have served, are serving, and have died protecting that flag and this country, and having people sit down isn't the right way to thanks veterans for what they have done for us. 

2. Though I think kneeling during the National Anthem is a punishable act, all of the players have the right of Freedom of Speech, and are allowed to stand up for what they believe in. 

3. If I was on the team I would stand up during the National Anthem like a person should. That is one of the biggest ways to honor and respect all those who have served for our country. 

• I don't think kneeling is a good way because I think that the players should respect the flag, but it's better than starting violence out of protest. I don't agree with what he said. Everyone has the right to protest. I would stand out of honor to the men and women that fight on the field so I can freely fight out on the football field for a win. 

• I don't find players taking a knee respectful or supportive of our country in any way. The National Anthem is a symbol of our nation and a tribute to everyone who has put their life on the line or lost their life fighting for everyone that lives in the US. I think that Trump shouldn't have made these comments because it's just causing the players to want to rebel so much more for the attention that they're drawing to themselves and their team. I would at least stay standing and face the flag and put my right hand over my heart if I could. It's understandable to not always put your hand over your heart but you should acknowledge that the anthem is being played. When The National Anthem is being played at volleyball games most teams don't put their hands over their hearts, they usually link pinkies or hold hands.

• I have mixed feelings about this situation. For starters I think it is disrespectful to kneel during the national anthem but on the other hand I think that players and people should have the right to do that. I don't agree with the presidents comments because the United States is supposed to be free and when people try to tell you what you can and cannot do it it seems to contradict itself. If the National Anthem is playing I will stand because the people in the service have fought hard for us to live freely. 

• YES I think its more than alright. I think he has the right to feel empowered by it but some people dont do it for a reason. I would tell the players that wanted to go take pride in the anthem that they could and others that didn't want to, to stay in the locker room. 

• I think taking a knee is fine but people who are stretching during it makes me upset because there are people overseas fighting for us to sleep peacefully at night and they are taking a knee on Sunday mornings before they play a game. I think that they should stand because that's what you do but you can't make them. I would stand because I also have family members that have servers this country so we can have the right to stand or knee.

• 1. I think it's whatever they believe. This is a way of them expressing their beliefs. I think it's whatever they think it's helping. 

2. As our first amendment says we have the freedom of speech, I think that it's his opinion and he has a right to say what he wants. Personally, I don't disagree or agree because since he is our president and they are disrespecting the flag, I see why he is mad.

3. I would definitely support. I would stand and say the anthem.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker