Newborn Gabriella Coane was born on August 20th in Houston, Texas. Not even a few days later hurricane Harvey hit, bringing massive amounts of rain and strong winds. Luckily the Coane’s lived in a high-rise building, so it was not damaged, but they saw destruction all around them. The couple then decided to go to their second home in Miami because they were worried about water supply and the chemical fires. A normal 18 hour drive took the Coanes over three days because of detours and stops for the baby. As the couple drove toward Florida, hurricane Irma gained strength, but despite warnings from their friends they continued to their house. They arrived on Tuesday, but by Friday with Irma threatening they decided to evacuate for a second time. Eleven hours after they left Miami, the Coane’s finally found a vacant hotel in Alabama. They decided to head back to their home in Texas after they learnt that their Miami house lost water and power after Irma. The couple completed a 3,000 mile journey for the safety of their daughter.

Go here for the whole story.

1. If you were in the Coane’s position what would you do?

I would do exactly what the Coane’s did, but instead of going to Miami despite warnings I would’ve went to the nearest hotel and stayed out the storm in safety

1. What treasured item would you bring on this road trip?

I would take my banners from Shorthorn Junior Nationals because it was a once in a lifetime experience and I want to have something to remember it.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would just be smarter and not head towards a hurricane threat, I would bring food and stuff from my house and head up north to avoid the storms.

• I would do everything to make sure that my children are safe then worry about my safety. I also would have traveled as far away from the coasts as possible to stay away from the hurricanes. I would mainly worry about food and water, clothes, and other things like that. 

• I would not have gone to Miami. The storm warnings clearly stated that much of Florida was unsafe, so going straight to Alabama would have saved time and money. I would think about food and water before bringing any treasured items.

• I would have done the same. It must have been tough to drive that much but it kept their family safe, but i wouldn't have gone to Miami i would have drove more north away from the other hurricnane

Idk really know because all i would want is my family to be safe more than bring an item that could replace 

• 1. MOVE ANYWHERE NORTH

2. Probably my Remington 1187 semi automatic 12 gauge shotgun(I spent a lot of money on it and im in love with it).

• I would have evacuated as well, and the logical thing to do would have been to listen to warnings, but we don't know what they were going through and how much stress they were under. Asking which prized possession I would bring is a really difficult question to answer. I value too many possessions to just choose one. 

• I agree that stress probably played a major factor in what they did because they didn't really have time to stop and think. They also had to worry about the safety of their child, so they figured that their next home would be the best choice before trying a hotel.

• i would do what they did i would have moved to some place other than Miami.

i would take my regional gold medal l i that i won for swimming  

• I would get as for as I needed to to keep the infant safe.

I would bring all of my guns and ammo.

• I would do exactly what they already did I would go and try to get my daughter far away as possible to guarantee her safety because I would not want her to be hurt. I would take a satellite phone because you can call on that phone from anywhere in the world so then if I got into trouble or I was lost I could call for help.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker