Newborn Found Left Inside of Gym Bag In Hospital

In Chamblee, Georgia, a newborn baby boy was found inside of a gym bag with his umbilical cord attached to him. The police got a call that there was a baby that was abandoned on the highway. An unknown person dropped the gym bag with the baby off at Family Medical Clinic and a staff member dropped it by the office because they thought it belonged to one of the patients. That was on Wednesday. When an officer arrived at the clinic, she heard crying and found the baby boy at inside of the blue, canvas gym bag. He was wrapped inside of a white t-shirt and was found alive. He had no food or water for hours. The police officer called EMS, where the baby was transported to Scottish Rite Hospital, where he received immediate treatment. The baby boy is premature and weighed 4.86 pounds. The infant has been named a "miracle baby".

Questions:

1.) If you were the person who had found the baby inside of the bag, what would you do? What would your reaction be?

2.) What do you think should happen to the person that abandoned the baby?

My answers:

1.) I would call 911 and tell them what had happened. My reaction is I would be alarmed.

2.) I think the person should go to jail for a while.

READ THE FULL STORY (WITH PICTURES) HERE

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would right away call 911 and get help asap because I would be frantic and not know what to do. The person that left the baby should defiantly be put in jail for life because that baby didn't deserve to be left alone and neglected. 

• 1. I would contact the local police station and notify them at once. I would be shook.

2. They should be taken to court and sued/jailed 

• 1. take it to a hospital since the baby was premature

2. Go to court because some state don't have place for people to leave there child for other to take care 

• I would get help immediately and make sure that baby got to a hospital or somewhere where he could get the treatment needed. I would be angry and sad. Angry at whoever left him there and at his parents, and sad that this happened to him. I think the person who abandoned the baby should have jail time. That may sound a little extreme, but personally that is crazy to leave a premature baby in a gym bag.

• I'll immediately notify the hospital and try to make sure the baby stayed alive. To be honest, I'd be surprised to see a baby left alone and surprised that it survived for so long. They should be put in jail for abandoning the baby and forcing it to survive by itself.

• I would honestly be stunned. How can a person just leave their premature baby in a gym bag? Yes, the baby was being brought to the medical clinic, but in a gym bag. Why not hand the baby to nurse at least? I don't think the person should be in trouble for giving her baby away, because that's her choice, but she should have some kind of punishment for endangering the life of a child.

• 1) I would be not a shocked as you think, because if I heard an infant in that bag,  I would be pretty certain that there is a infant in that bag. Of course, I would call EMS to make sure the child receives the right treatment. 

2)  I would think they should take this to court and get the appropriate amount of time for this crime.

• That's a great point - I've never thought about that. I probably does happen more than a person would think. I just think that the person that abandoned the baby should at least waited in the hospital to make sure that the baby was okay and that it would be okay in the future.

• If I had found the baby, I would immediately call for help and have it taken to a hospital to make sure everything about it was okay. I would definitely be in shock about finding an abandoned baby in a gym bag, it's a helpless human being that's reliant on others. Who would even think to abandon a fragile baby? 

I wonder what would cause someone to leave their baby. Whoever abandoned the child should face proper child abandonment laws.

• That's completely true because why in anyone's right mind would they leave a baby that was JUST BORN that still relies on someone to give them the nutrients that they need to survive.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker