Newborn Found Left Inside of Gym Bag In Hospital

In Chamblee, Georgia, a newborn baby boy was found inside of a gym bag with his umbilical cord attached to him. The police got a call that there was a baby that was abandoned on the highway. An unknown person dropped the gym bag with the baby off at Family Medical Clinic and a staff member dropped it by the office because they thought it belonged to one of the patients. That was on Wednesday. When an officer arrived at the clinic, she heard crying and found the baby boy at inside of the blue, canvas gym bag. He was wrapped inside of a white t-shirt and was found alive. He had no food or water for hours. The police officer called EMS, where the baby was transported to Scottish Rite Hospital, where he received immediate treatment. The baby boy is premature and weighed 4.86 pounds. The infant has been named a "miracle baby".

Questions:

1.) If you were the person who had found the baby inside of the bag, what would you do? What would your reaction be?

2.) What do you think should happen to the person that abandoned the baby?

My answers:

1.) I would call 911 and tell them what had happened. My reaction is I would be alarmed.

2.) I think the person should go to jail for a while.

READ THE FULL STORY (WITH PICTURES) HERE

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Enya!

• If I found this baby, I know it would be best to call 911, but I would probably call one of my parents first. I would eventually try to find if an adult was close by as well. I'm not sure if I would be able to think clearly though. The person that left the baby should be charged with abandonment or something on that spectrum and receive the deserved punishment. 

• I would call the police right away. I would feel so bad for that baby.

Well if they don't know who the baby belongs to they can't really arrest them. I think whoever it was should be arrested if they get found

• 1. I would see if the baby was still alive and give it the attention needed, and then call someone for help to get the baby into the hospital

2. I think the person that left the baby should go to prison for abandonment.  

• The first thing I would do if I found the baby in the bag would be to call 911 so they can get it to the hospital as soon as possible to try and save it. I would be mortified that some one would have the heart to do this to the baby. I think if they could find the person who left the baby in the bag, they should go to jail and be fined for leaving their newborn child like this.

• If I found a baby inside of a bag, I would call 911 immediately and stay with the child (and try to keep them conscious/awake) until help arrived. I would be shocked and scared but I would still do my best to help the child. I think that, unfortunately, it will be hard to find the parent since they child was left alone. If they are found, they should go to jail and be charged with abandonment, among other things.

• I would call 911 and stay with the baby giving it care until help arrived. I think the person who abandoned the baby should be found and they should explain themselves. If they abandoned the baby for no reason, they should definitely face jail time. If they have a reason like they couldn't give the proper care that the baby needed, I think the punishment should be a fine for child endangerment. 

• 1) I would be seriously freaked out! After my few seconds of shock, I would call 911 and stay with the baby until medical help showed up. I might even stay there until I found out if the baby was OK or not. 

2) Child abandonment is when a parent/guardian has left a child without concern of physical health, safety, food, water, or shelter. Obviously, this was the case in this situation. The parent should at least be charged with child abandonment, which, in Georgia, is a $1,000 fee or 12 months in prison. A bigger punishment should be made for this person considering the child was a newborn, and had absolutely no way to help itself, and charges for child abuse might come in play because the baby was left in a bag. 

• I would obviously be alarmed, and get the baby to the hospital ASAP, because the baby was born premature. I think whoever abandoned the baby should face charges of child neglect. 

• If i had found the baby i would call the police. My reaction would be concern for the baby and confusion because i do not get why someone would do something that. I think the person should be arrested for child neglect and attempted murder.    

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker