Netflix Email Scamming

Just recently, numerous emails have been sent out by an unknown scammer pretending to be the Netflix company. To attract the reader's attention, the fraudulent website requests that customers update their Netflix membership information. The questionnaire asks for all of your credit card information and social security number. All of the emails sent out look completely legitimate. Once you have provided your personal information, you are taken back to the normal Netflix homepage. Netflix explains they will never ask for any personal information in the context of an email, and they have created a section on their website about how to protect yourself from scammers. Everyone is asked to spread the news about the issue to protect others about the scams. 

Questions: 

What would you do if you got this email? 

Would you even consider sending out your personal information over an email? 

My Answers~

If I had not known about this scam, I would have most likely opened it. However, I wouldn't have put in my personal information (or my mom's) in the email because I know you should never enter credit card information or social security online. Although I would probably not delete the email, just in case I did need it. 

I wouldn't send out personal information (or my family's) through a website. I would always ask my mom first and make sure it is completely credible. 

Read full more here: Link 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I probably wouldn't think much of the email, but I would get kind of suspicious when it starts asking for personal information. I would never send out my personal info over email because who knows who could access those emails and steal your identity. These days there are lots of people who hack other people's computers and steal all their personal information. People need to be extremely careful about their personal info. 

• If I got this email, I wouldn't think much of it. I'd probably go back to the website and try to log in, if it worked then I would know something was up. It's dangerous to give out information over email. We live in such a digital age, you have to question everything online.

• Its so crazy that we have to be so careful just about a movie and tv show website, or really anything on the internet. I would also probably go to the site to see if Netflix was continuing to work. 

• If I got an email like this and i didn't know about the scam i would most defiantly click it and answer the questions if it seemed legitimate. If i knew about the scam before i got an email then i would delete the email when I got it. At my age if i would have got the email i don't think i would give personal information because idk who the email was. I would probably go to my mom because she runs our Netflix account. 

• I would also go to my mom about the issue, since she has the account. :) Although, if I hypothetically had the account, I possibly started putting in my credit card information, but if I then noticed that it asked for my social security number I would definitely not enter it. It is a good thing that people are spreading the word about the scam so others don't fall for the dirty trick!

• I most likely would have opened the email and the page, but I wouldn't have put in any of my personal information. Like many other companies, in Netflix's terms and conditions page it states it will only send emails regarding new features or e-mail confirmations. It sends notices about your account via "Your Account" page. Which is why I wouldn't email my personal information to any company or person.

• I never realized that! Maybe I should pay more attention to the terms and conditions page... I do know that companies like that aren't supposed to send random or unwanted emails such as this one. That is one great way to recognize this was a scam! 

• If there was no problems with my Netflix I wouldn't see why I would be getting an email. I would be very confused. The only way I would ever put in my credit number would be if I had gotten a new one (and if I went to Netflix on my own not because they sent me an email). If I opened this email and it asked me to put in my Social Security Number I would ex out of the website immediately. Any website (especially one's like Netflix) will never need your Social Security Number, so this fake link asking me for my Social Security Number would seem very off to me. I would never put any information over email even if it was sending it to a family member. You just never know when someone hacking you could occur and you need to be very careful.  

• I think I would be pretty confused too. It seems like the only reason why Netflix would need to renew your credit card number was if you got one. There is absolutely no reason for Netflix to need your Social Security number. For goodness sake, it is just for shows and movies! 

• I wouldn't have open it if my Netflix account was working then I would not of opened it and just deleted it! I would not have given out any information and would have deleted it right away. I think it is sad that people are scamming other people for their things if they have enough money to have the technology to scam everything and send everything out they probably should have enough money to pay for their own membership!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker