Netflix Email Scamming

Just recently, numerous emails have been sent out by an unknown scammer pretending to be the Netflix company. To attract the reader's attention, the fraudulent website requests that customers update their Netflix membership information. The questionnaire asks for all of your credit card information and social security number. All of the emails sent out look completely legitimate. Once you have provided your personal information, you are taken back to the normal Netflix homepage. Netflix explains they will never ask for any personal information in the context of an email, and they have created a section on their website about how to protect yourself from scammers. Everyone is asked to spread the news about the issue to protect others about the scams. 

Questions: 

What would you do if you got this email? 

Would you even consider sending out your personal information over an email? 

My Answers~

If I had not known about this scam, I would have most likely opened it. However, I wouldn't have put in my personal information (or my mom's) in the email because I know you should never enter credit card information or social security online. Although I would probably not delete the email, just in case I did need it. 

I wouldn't send out personal information (or my family's) through a website. I would always ask my mom first and make sure it is completely credible. 

Read full more here: Link 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• That's so true! It's so scary that you always have to watch your back, especially online. Between scammers, hackers, and others, the internet is actually really frightening!

• I probably would have opened the email and read it, but I would have asked my parents and also my friends that have Netflix if they got the email too. Even if they all did, I still probably would have questioned it and definitely wouldn't have put in any personal information because there is a lot of scammers and hackers out there that just want you information.

• I would have probably been confused considering the fact that I don't receive these emails. However my mother probably would have. No I wouldn't share my information due to the amount of hackers and bad people on the internet.

• I probably would had opened it as well, but I would defiantly not respond or send out any information. I think it's scary that there are people out there who could trick people into sending them their personal information.

• It is really scary that people try to get all of your personal information even though there is a huge risk. 

• I would delete the email, if everything was working with my Netflix program then I wouldn't further update anything with my membership. I would also never give out personal information in a email like this because its technology, and technology isn't always the safest thing. 

• That's a really good point. If your Netflix was working just normally it is very suspicious that they would send out an email. 

• I would never even consider put any of my personal information in and email and then send it out, even if i knew about the scam or not. if i got this email i would probably just open it. i would not fill out anymore information and send it. Then i would most likely delete the email. this just shows how easily people can get your information and steel your identity if you are not careful.

• I would not send any information like that through and unknown sender I would probably delete it.

• Well, i dont get emails from Netflix, my mom does, and if she got the email, she'd know it was a scam from the get go. I NEVER send personal info via email, because people could steal my identity, and i dont want that to happen, like ever. If anything, I'd go to my mom, just to make sure its legit.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker