Navy Seal Killed In Somalian Raid

A group of US troops that were in Somalia acting as advisers was put under light fire in the early stages of a mission involving the terrorist organization Al Qaeda. The group was quickly taken down. There was 1 death involving a navy seal and 2 injured 1 of which was a translator of from the US. These were the first deaths since 1993 which involved two black hawk helicopters being shot down and 18 American soldiers being killed. In response the US will be sending a new contingent of about 40 soldiers to join the near 50 already there. They will still hold the same mission of advise and assist the currant Somalian forces. 

Do you think that we are doing the right thing by sending more forces to Somalia?

How would you react if you were in charge of this operation?

I believe if the Al Qaeda group is large enough to ambush this group and still cause trouble in the region we should help take action against them, however we should send better equipment and not risk more of our troops lives, I think the more we send the larger scale attacks the terrorist group will commit. 

If I was in charge I would be sending in better equipment and not more troops. The more troops we have there the more the terrorist will have to target and they will begin planning larger scale invasions and attacks. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that we should send in more troops because I don't think that it will help. I would explore my options and try to do what I could help. 

• I think the US has the right idea to help them, but I think they should be sending over more supplies rather than troops. If I was in charge I would ask for a few more troops, but would mainly focus on getting much needed supplies. 

• yes i think that they do need help but i don't think that sending more over is going to help the problem. If i was in charge i would tell the soldiers to train harder and to help them get stronger and also get them important things like more food and more equipment to help them get stronger and bolder.

• As one of the most powerful countries in the world, it’s our job to help troubled countries. Although, I don’t believe sending more soldiers to Somalia is going to resolve this conflict. In the position of the leader, I would train somali soldiers willing to fight for justice instead of sending even more of our forces. It would also be wise to send supplies and equipment for the civilians who have been injured in between the battle.  

• Sending soldier would be good but bad at the same time! I would train soldiers who want to go over to samoli to fight and give them the training needed. This would give us the confidence to go over there and put an end to the raid. Maybe all conflicts will be settled, we never know.

• I think that sending more people there is actually going to hurt us. The more people we have there the more threatened they will feel and that may cause them to attack more. I wouldn't be happy and I would hate having to tell the families of the deceased.  

• I think that we are doing the right thing, sending more troops in, because more troops will help resolve the conflict quicker. I think that they should also send better supplies, but I don't think that those better supplies should replace the soldiers- they should send both. If I was in charge of this, I would send more troops and command them to ambush the Al Qaeda group before Al Qaeda could strike again.

• I agree, Morgan, we are certainly doing the right thing by sending more troops over. Hopefully they can solve the conflict quicker, that way they can come home sooner.

• I think we should send a much larger force to take care of the problem faster. It would be scary if all of a sudden bullets started flying but I would get the soldiers to hide and then fight back.

• I think we're doing the right thing because there is power in numbers. The extra troops will hopefully help keep the peace in Somalia, where conditions can be rough. If I was in charge of the mission, I would send more people and more equipment so the extra troops are also well armored.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker