Living without Money?

In Mainz, a city in west-central Germany, 10 young people are living their dream. They believe in an utopia, a world without global social injustice, capitalism and environmental pollution. They try to be aware of what they really need to live and what not. Therefore they live vegan, ecologically, drug-free and as good as possible money-free together in a shared house, called “Liebermenschhaus”. Their groceries, for example, they get from saving them from being thrown away in a nearby grocery store. Everything they have is shared. They share their food, rent and even their closet. The fewest of them actually have a job because they live off donations, of all the things that others aren’t using at the moment. The founder of the community, Tobi Rosswog, travels through Germany, giving speeches and leading workshops to motivate people to think and live differently.

Tobi Rosswog is convinced that one day our society will be turned for the better. He believes that there will be no longer social injustice, that we won’t live from each other but with each other, and that everything will be shared.

Click here to read the full story (in German) and here to look at their own website and pictures.

Questions:

1. Do you believe that one day the utopia that they are dreaming of will become real? And do you think that they can make a difference by changing their way of life?

2. Could you live like that? Why or why not? What would you miss about your former life?

My answers:

1. To be honest, I don’t think that the utopia will become real because there will always be people that don’t act like they should, even if there are only a few. Yes, I definitely think so, everyone can make a difference! Every little step brings you a little bit further to your goals and if you never start you will never succeed.

2. I’m not sure if I could live like that because I don’t think that I have enough discipline to stand it. I would probably miss being able to buy whatever I want and not being sure how I will live the next few weeks.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No i dont believe a utopia could work its just not in human nature for every one to share with everyone. I think it could inspire a few people but i dont think most people would call eating out of the trash and living in a house with 10 people a utopia. No i couldn't live like that it sounds awful.    

• 1. I think that there are always gonna be a few people no what matter happens people will always try and take advantage of people or if they don't like someone they find a reason to not like them and other people will follow suit. I Don't think I could live like that because that would be very hard because you would not know if you are going to not starve that day because you are always searching for food.

• I feel like it could because the world is so caught up in money so I think they can use the utopia as an example, and learn from them. I think it coudl make a huge difference but also cause some problems. i could maybe adjust to the life, but i would miss personal items. 

• I don't think that the dream of everyone living together will work because I feel like there will just be fighting and it won't be good. I think that they THEMSELVES are thinking that they are changing the world, but they have to realize that not everyone will be on board the way they are. I don't think that I could live like that because it just seems so boring. I would miss being able to have fun instead of sharing everything and living such a restricted life.

• No. utopias don't work. human nature makes sure of that.  we want a perfect society but we are not perfect thus it doesn't work out because if the people are not perfect then how can you expect the society as a whole to be perfect?

• In my opinion a Utopia is not possible. Not everyone in the world can be equal, some people will take from others because, its' what they do even if they have what they want, they will always want more. For a Utopia to be made everyone has to get along but, how would that work with people having very different beliefs. Some people believe in God, mother nature, Ala, or even something like sports. The world will always have differences that's what makes it a unique place.

• Yes, unfortunately it probably won't work out. But I don't think that they want everyone to believe in the same things. In my opinion they just want all people to be nice to each other and share their property. 

• I don't think there is any way that any country will ever be able to make a perfect Utopian society because people are gonna have their beliefs. I don't think I could live in an Utopian society because I couldn't stand how equal everything would be. People would have to look the same and everyone would have to be the same. There would be nothing to distinguish us from each other. 

• Unfortunately I agree with you that there won't be a Utopian society. But what do you think is an utopia? Because it has nothing to do with looking and being the same! 

• I don't think this Utopian society can be achievable or successful. They may be able to make a bigger difference than most people would think, but it won't drastically change anything. I don't think I could live like that. I don't like people enough to be able to live with everyone in the same house.  That might make you laugh, but a lot of people might feel the same way. I couldn't be vegan either; I couldn't even be a vegetarian. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker