Living without Money?

In Mainz, a city in west-central Germany, 10 young people are living their dream. They believe in an utopia, a world without global social injustice, capitalism and environmental pollution. They try to be aware of what they really need to live and what not. Therefore they live vegan, ecologically, drug-free and as good as possible money-free together in a shared house, called “Liebermenschhaus”. Their groceries, for example, they get from saving them from being thrown away in a nearby grocery store. Everything they have is shared. They share their food, rent and even their closet. The fewest of them actually have a job because they live off donations, of all the things that others aren’t using at the moment. The founder of the community, Tobi Rosswog, travels through Germany, giving speeches and leading workshops to motivate people to think and live differently.

Tobi Rosswog is convinced that one day our society will be turned for the better. He believes that there will be no longer social injustice, that we won’t live from each other but with each other, and that everything will be shared.

Click here to read the full story (in German) and here to look at their own website and pictures.

Questions:

1. Do you believe that one day the utopia that they are dreaming of will become real? And do you think that they can make a difference by changing their way of life?

2. Could you live like that? Why or why not? What would you miss about your former life?

My answers:

1. To be honest, I don’t think that the utopia will become real because there will always be people that don’t act like they should, even if there are only a few. Yes, I definitely think so, everyone can make a difference! Every little step brings you a little bit further to your goals and if you never start you will never succeed.

2. I’m not sure if I could live like that because I don’t think that I have enough discipline to stand it. I would probably miss being able to buy whatever I want and not being sure how I will live the next few weeks.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, I definitely agree with you! And that other people could possibly join them is a very good point. I also think that it would be hard to budget and to always have that uncertainty if you are going to have enough food and whatever you need to live for the next few weeks or even days. 

• i think that they could make a difference and that it could be positive but i'm not sure about being vegan i don't know how much of the world would want to make that change. i don't think that i could live like that. i just don't think that i could live without having the money to go do things very often. i would miss a lot i don't know if i could choose one.

• Oh yes, persuading people to being vegan would probably be one of the hardest things to do because there are just not many people that really believe that veganism is helpful. I think that most of them wouldn't like to give up their comfort or their traditions.

• I do not think that the utopia society will become real because people like to live there own way of life and have different opinions on everything. Yeah in there own little community they are making a difference but in the long run there is not many of them so it won't make a huge difference. I would not be able to live that way. I could not share my clothes and I would want to make money so I could buy what I want. I would also not be able to be a vegan. I would miss having my own choice in things and doing what I wanted.

• Yes, I agree with you that there are just too many different people that have different opinions, but I still think that they can make a difference. Every decision has an impact on your environment, no matter how small it may seems!

• I do not believe that this version of society will ever become popular enough to replace what we already have. With our many countries and religions, even our philosophies get in the way of sharing and equality. The world we live in today is one where it seems standing together is next to impossible. There will always been different people. People aren't always good because that just they way some people are and we probably will never be able to control that. I certainly could not and will not convert to their form of society with my stubbornness and low tolerance levels. I just couldn't live like that ever. 

• Yes that's true, and that is exactly why I don't think that it will ever work. Because all the different cultures and different people could probably never live the same way, without anyone living differently.

• I don't think it will work at all. If there are people donating to them they living off of that and if non one donates to them anymore then it will be harder for them to do anything because they partially rely on that donated money. If everyone lived like that it definitely wouldn't work because how would anyone buy or get food. I couldn't live like because I honestly couldn't live like that with 9 other people. 

• Yes, that's a good point. But I think that if everyone just lives with what he/she really needs to survive then it maybe would work without anyone that is donating. Of course everyone would still have to want to live like that and if that is not the case it probably won't work. Do you think you could live like that alone?

• I don't think a Utopian society is every going to exist in this world that we live, and nor should it. People can't be forced to live a certain way and making people but shut off from everything isn't good for us. If you read any books about Utopian societies, you realize how badly this atmospheres can mess with people's emotions, morals, beliefs, and thinking. I think it is good for people to try and live in peace with each other, but we just have to realize this won't work for the entire globe. 

I couldn't live like this at all! Being forced to live a certain way with others and being stripped of your rights is not something fun to think about. People need to have their own opinions, beliefs, and way of life. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker