Iowa Governor chooses Apple over Iowa State University.

Governor Kim Reynolds is going to have to explain how the increases in tuition connects with corporate tax cuts to companies worth billions already. The Iowa State Editorial board asked Governor Reynolds about it, and she announced that the tax breaks were for Apple's new data center that will be built in Waukee. On Tuesday apple will begin to earn "about $4.26 dollars per permanent full- time position that the data center creates," according to the Des Moines Register. The money is coming from local and state governments the could be spent for education spending. Apple recorded a quarterly revenue of $45.4 Billion from Iowa. Reynolds stated, "They chose Iowa" which is rising the question, did apple choose Iowa because of the money, or for the values of the state? 

Story Here

1. Do you believe what Governor Reynolds did was justified? Explain why or why not.

My opinion: I understand why she is giving tax money to apple, but this is rising Iowa State tuition, and the more it rises the less people will be able to afford it, making it so people will not be able to get a proper education.

2. Do you think apple choose Iowa because of the money? Or because of our values as Iowans?

My opinion:I believe that, yes apple may have chosen us for the values, but the facts are telling me that apple choose us because of the money. Apple has been getting millions from us, and that is a very good reason to build a data center here.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good story and summary! You started off strong with your replying to student comments but then stopped. Be sure t comment at least three different days.

• I do not think it was justified because it raises tuition and now less people will be able to go to college meaning lower education. Most jobs now require a college education so higher tuition is just making it harder for some kids to get jobs. I think apple choose Iowa for the money.

• No, I don't think it was a great idea and it wasn't justified. She did the right thing for apple but now students have to pay more than what they already are for college. It just made something expensive even more expensive. I think Apple chose us for the money to be completely honest.

• No, I don't think it was that great of an idea. College ,in general, is very expensive.  I think she did the right thing for apple, but not students in college. This is going to make the cost of college higher than it already is. I think they just saw it as a good opportunity and took it.  They probably did this for our values and not out money. Who in Iowa? if they wanted even more cash flow, they could have gone to like California

• No, I do not believe what Governor Reynolds did was justified. College is very expensive and it leave many students in debt. Increasing the tuition cost even more than it already is, is going to affect so many students.  I don't think apple chose Iowa because of our values. I believe that they chose us because they had money on the mind. 

• 1) I like the idea of having an Apple in Iowa but if it is going to raise tuition I don't think it is worth it because those students are going to school because they will be our future workers. So I think it wasn't the right thing to say.

2) I personally think Apple is only choosing Iowa for the money because from a business stand point every business wants to make money. They won't care if everyone hates them as long as they are getting money in they are happy. So I am going to say if just the money part.

• I understand why she chose to do what she did with giving tax money to Apple, but Iowa States tuition is now more expense and if it continues on this pass less people will be able to attend because of the money aspect. I think they chose us because we have given Apple a lot of money but they may have done it because of our values 

• No, because raising the tuition for Iowa state university, will make it less affordable for those who want to attend after high school. I think apple chose Iowa for the money, personally, because a good amount of people in the state, including myself have iphones, ipads, etc. 

• I can see why the Governor would do something like this but it will also raise more things in Iowa like the tuition to attend Iowa or Iowa state. I think that apple choose Iowa because of our money because they are just a company and they are always looking on ways to improve there cash flow.

• I don't think it is because she is giving it to apple but I think they make well enough money for themselves so I don't see why it is even happening. I thinks she should do the best for Iowa people. I think they did because Iowa has tons of job opportunities and money income. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker