Iowa Governor chooses Apple over Iowa State University.

Governor Kim Reynolds is going to have to explain how the increases in tuition connects with corporate tax cuts to companies worth billions already. The Iowa State Editorial board asked Governor Reynolds about it, and she announced that the tax breaks were for Apple's new data center that will be built in Waukee. On Tuesday apple will begin to earn "about $4.26 dollars per permanent full- time position that the data center creates," according to the Des Moines Register. The money is coming from local and state governments the could be spent for education spending. Apple recorded a quarterly revenue of $45.4 Billion from Iowa. Reynolds stated, "They chose Iowa" which is rising the question, did apple choose Iowa because of the money, or for the values of the state? 

Story Here

1. Do you believe what Governor Reynolds did was justified? Explain why or why not.

My opinion: I understand why she is giving tax money to apple, but this is rising Iowa State tuition, and the more it rises the less people will be able to afford it, making it so people will not be able to get a proper education.

2. Do you think apple choose Iowa because of the money? Or because of our values as Iowans?

My opinion:I believe that, yes apple may have chosen us for the values, but the facts are telling me that apple choose us because of the money. Apple has been getting millions from us, and that is a very good reason to build a data center here.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I honestly think that it was the governor's decision and she did what she wanted - she shouldn't be judged for that. I don't know the reason why apple chose Iowa - maybe for our values as Iowans? I have no clue.

• I think she shouldn't have donated that money to Apple but, to I-State. A lot of people in Iowa are going to go to that school so it would make sense to fund it with more money than what we are giving it now. It wouldn't hurt to better someone's education that's the main goal really is to be as smart as you possibly can to succeed in life.

• I think she is trying to do a good thing by giving money to Apple, but it is making college tuition more expensive for students and not everyone will be able to afford that. College is expensive enough already and raising tuition will cause less people to go because they can't afford it. I think that Apple probably chose Iowa for this extra money, but they could probably get even more money if they went somewhere bigger. 

• I could partially see how she is justified but in reality those things should be balanced. Apple could rope in lots more revenue for Iowa providing for the school and create jobs but could also have worse effects on the school. Apple totally chose Iowa for money, they don't "value" anything but revenue.

• In my opinion I think it was stupid to put money towards Apple (like they don't have enough already) and rising the tuition is going to tick a lot of people off. I think 100% this is all about money and there was no thinking what so ever about our values.

• I think that moving technology forward is a good idea and all, but I don't think that rising tuition is worth it. College is already expensive but to have it rise even more is worse. I'm thinking that apple did this for our values not our money. If they wanted more money they'd go to California instead of Iowa. 

• I get why their doing this however I dont get why they chose Iowa. Iowa is very behind modern trends and I feel that this could help us be more immersed in pop culture however I dont think they are going to use this $45.4 Billion in a way that will help us the people. I think that all apple is worried about is expanding to whoever they can. I hate seeing this money come from tuition costs because collage is already expensive enough I think if they would have slowly taken money out of normal taxs then it would be more profitable and better for collage students.

• i think that anything that she can do to make it cheaper she should do because personally i would prefer not to graduate college six figures in debt. i think that apple is only in it for the money.

• no because i think that school is a little more important than apple stuff i think that they chose iowa because they knew that we were lagging behind in the tech era 

• 1. Yes they could do that, but it could've been put toward something else more important.

2. Money, definitely money. Apple could care less about one specific University. All they care about is making money to fun there next iPhone.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker