Hurricane Maria was a category 4 tropical storm that hit the island of Puerto Rico on Wednesday and is said to be one of the strongest hurricanes to hit the island ever. It caused the whole island of 3.4 million people to loose power and a lot of the island was flooded. The town of Yabucoa was the first town to get hit by the hurricane with winds over 155 miles per hour. It was predicted to cover the whole island and last about 24 hours with the winds staying strong the whole time. Everything in the path was was destroyed and since Puerto Rico is an American island it is also our responsibility to help them out. Puerto Rico was hit with some of the other recent hurricanes also. The island wasn't very prepared for the storm so they took cover in stairwells, bathrooms and even closets to stay safe. Like many other storms this hurricane caused the island to receive over 20 inches of rain. Throughout the day the winds died down to about 115 miles per hour but was still unsafe for people to go outside. When Maria hit the island was still trying to recover from Irma that had slightly hit earlier in the year. 

1. If you were in Puerto Rico when both storms hit, where would you go for a last minute shelter?

2. After Irma would  you have stayed on the island or gone to the US if you didn't know hurricane Maria was coming?

My answer:

1. If I were to be on the island when the storm hit I would first make sure my family was safe and then I would not go in my basement because that is where all of the water will go and it would flood. I would go to the concrete church by my house and stay there because it seems like it would be safer than my house. 

2. If I had no idea the hurricane Maria was coming I would have stayed around to help the island clean up and make sure I could help as many people as possible. If there wasn't anything I could do to help I would go to the US to make sure I stayed safe from another natural disaster. 

Read the story Here

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Maybe a shelter for storms of some sort or possibly my basement or somewhere safe and sturdy. I would have left ASAP because I feel like a lot of people don't do what they are told so I think it creates more unnecessary problems. 

• I would go to the nearest storm shelter that was appropriate for hurricane conditions. well if i knew more storms were to come then I'd probably find a new place where it would be safe to live.

• I dont really know where I would go because I was not taught anything to do for a hurricane because we dont get them in Iowa. But I would go somewhere high. I would have stayed to help rebuild everything but if i Knew that another one was coming I would lave.

• For last minute shelter, I would probably go to my church if possible because it is a stable building with a greater altitude than a lot of places in our town, Earling. If I didn't know the second hurricane was coming and my house hadn't been destroyed, I would have no reason to leave and head to the US. I probably wouldn't want to leave the island if I didn't know exactly where I was headed. 

• I think that the church is a good place because you live in such a small town and the locations are limited for you guys. Would it make a difference for you if your house was destroyed...? I'm sure if there was a lot of people leaving it would be really chaotic and stressful for a lot of people. 

• I hope that at least some of the people in Puerto Rico had storm safe rooms in their basements-that's also where I would go. Of course, I would make sure that my family and my neighbors and friends are safe too. What I would have done after Irma depends on how the hurricane would have hit my house at this time. If it was really bad, I'm sure, I would have left to live with friends or family in central USA. But if Irma wouldn't have done anything to my house, I would have probably stayed there. 

• I wouldn't go anywhere in the country for shelter, I would try to leave the country last minute and I would take my family with me because there is no where to go in the country itself. If I would have known that another hurricane was coming then I would collect everything I have left and leave immediately.

• I feel like with winds that strong its the same with tornado's, stay low, stay in a strong place, and dont go outside trying to be a storm chaser. I would try to to the the US but if I didnt have enough money I would get all the supplies I can but try to go through it like you did the last one. 

• I would go to a well built shelter, like made out of concrete. I would try to get far away from the shore, if that was possible for me.  I would try to be in the middle of the building, so the glass from the windows wouldn't break on me. I would stay on the island, since I would want to help other's with the destruction. 

• I would got to a  higher ground area shelter so I don't drown myself. I would to the US if I didn't know that Hurricane Maria was coming. The reason why I would go to US is to stay safe if another hurricane is coming after Irma.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker