Hurricane Maria was a category 4 tropical storm that hit the island of Puerto Rico on Wednesday and is said to be one of the strongest hurricanes to hit the island ever. It caused the whole island of 3.4 million people to loose power and a lot of the island was flooded. The town of Yabucoa was the first town to get hit by the hurricane with winds over 155 miles per hour. It was predicted to cover the whole island and last about 24 hours with the winds staying strong the whole time. Everything in the path was was destroyed and since Puerto Rico is an American island it is also our responsibility to help them out. Puerto Rico was hit with some of the other recent hurricanes also. The island wasn't very prepared for the storm so they took cover in stairwells, bathrooms and even closets to stay safe. Like many other storms this hurricane caused the island to receive over 20 inches of rain. Throughout the day the winds died down to about 115 miles per hour but was still unsafe for people to go outside. When Maria hit the island was still trying to recover from Irma that had slightly hit earlier in the year. 

1. If you were in Puerto Rico when both storms hit, where would you go for a last minute shelter?

2. After Irma would  you have stayed on the island or gone to the US if you didn't know hurricane Maria was coming?

My answer:

1. If I were to be on the island when the storm hit I would first make sure my family was safe and then I would not go in my basement because that is where all of the water will go and it would flood. I would go to the concrete church by my house and stay there because it seems like it would be safer than my house. 

2. If I had no idea the hurricane Maria was coming I would have stayed around to help the island clean up and make sure I could help as many people as possible. If there wasn't anything I could do to help I would go to the US to make sure I stayed safe from another natural disaster. 

Read the story Here

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I could not hide in the basement or the second floor because both sound very dangerous in a storm as the water would foul the basement and the air would take the roof of the house, I would go to a building where all the windows were covered and that the building is firm, of course it is for all the community service.

After that disaster could not go anywhere I would stay there and wait for what has to happen.

• I would try to go to somewhere that I have family and that family would help me. If I did not now maria was coming then I would not leave because there is no reason to leave because of no danger.

• If I were in this situation of the hurricane hitting I would make sure me and my family are at the highest point of our home (or wherever we were) so we can stay as safe as possible. If I had no idea about Maria I would stay and help, I would want to help my family and friends along with as many people as I would be able to help.

• I would probably go to the attic because it is the highest point in the house without being on the roof. You would be sheltered from the wind and rain and would be high enough if your house floods. It would also be a big enough area to fit any valuables and extra food and water in case help doesn't come for a few days. There is also usually a window in attics that can lead to a lower part of the roof in case the water catches up.

• I would definitely try to leave but if I couldn't leave I would probably go to a church near my house because the building is made of stone and it would be as safe as I could get. I would probably try to leave the island and come back to help when it was safe. I would try to save my family before I saved others.

• I would have my family and myself go to the nearest emergency building (hospital, fire department, police station). Building like those are built for emergencies. All of them would have somewhere to have shelter in during the storm. If I did not know Maria was coming I would stay and help. I would want to make sure everyone was as safe as the probably could and I would want to try and find others family members that they may have lost during the storm. 

• I would probably take shelter like they did I would go in the stairwells and in the closets to stay safe hopefully. No I would probably stay there and help out my community to help rebuild and plus it would be my home and I wouldn't want to leave it in their time of need.

• I agree, I would go to stairwells, and high points, to stay safe during the storm. And I also agree that if it's your home why not stay and help, they are your community and I would want to help all the individuals.

• I would make sure I was not underground because that is where flooding would begin. I would try to find some building made of concrete. I feel like it would be the safest bet in that situation. If I had no clue that another hurricane was about to hit the island, I would stay in Puerto Rico. Even if my home was destroyed, I wouldn't go to a whole new country to seek shelter.

• 1) I would probably find a concrete building and stay there until it passes. I would make sure other people would go there to be safe to along with my family.

2) After irma, I would've gone to the U.S. if there wasn't anything I could do. if there was anything I could do, I would help as much as I could and then try to leave.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker