History In Your Own Backyard

Last year around July 26, there were bones found at a construction site in Council Bluffs. These bones are said to be from the Mormons that went from Illinois to Salt Lake City. On there trip they came across in the middle of winter and the dreadful winter of Iowa would kill one or more family members at a time.  These bones are said to be over 100 years old or older. 

I think this is very interesting do to the fact that its close to where we live and its something that I've drove by over 100 times or more. 

What would you of done if you would of found the bones?

Have you ever thought about what could be buried in your backyard?

Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If I had the bones, I would be very surprised because that's not a normal thing to find in your backyard. I wouldn't know what to do with them, so I would probably look up a number to call to come look at the bones. No, I never really thought about what was buried in my backyard.  

• I honestly have no idea what I would do if I found the bones but I probably would of called someone and told them what happened and ask them what to do and then do what they say to do. I really have never thought about what could be in my backyard but I am sure that there is a lot of stuff that I would never think of or some wierd things but I guess I will never know because I don't plan to dig up my backyard.

• I honestly would have no idea what to do I would probably look up a number I could call for them to look at the bones and have them probably take them. I guess I've never though of what would be in my backyard mostly because I already know I can't dig anything because my dad would get super mad.

• I would of tried to reach a local museum and have them come check them out. I wouldn't move them but I would contact someone for sure. I have thought about what's in my backyard. I've always wondered about what happened where i live hundreds of years ago.

• I of course would of told people it's a huge discovery and people deserve to know. And for finding something like this you could get paid, I really wouldn't think of something historical to be buried in Council Bluffs it's pretty amazing knowing that Iowa has some history. In my backyard there is really a endless possibility of what could be buried back there. Maybe someday I'll start digging and find something incredible.

• I would have called the police and have them take the bones so they check that it wasent a missing person or a recant body. i have never really thought about what could be buried there but there is probably nothing. 

• If I had found the bones, I would probably be very shocked and possibly scared. I would definitely call the authorities. No I have not thought about what is in my backyard besides dirt, plants, and my buried pet opossum. 

• I would have wondered what king of animal died their.

Yes, wondered if there is and gold or expensive metal is buried.

• i would have probably just thought that they were bones from an animal. ya i have but i never really have had the want to find out what might be buried in my back yard. because my father would not like me very much if i destroyed the yard

• If I found these bones I would call the police to make sure it is not a missing person or anything I would then call the museum and tell them what I found.  Yes I think of tons of things that could be buried in my yard but there's probably nothing.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker