Flooding in Texas Traps Thousands

Hurricane Harvey has hit Texas hard but the hurricane itself isn't the worst part. Parts of Texas have gotten 24 inches of rain in the last 24 hours (as of noon on Sunday) and more rain is expected to come. The flooding has forced families out of their homes and stranded, some families are forced to go to their attics with axes in case they need to break through their roofs because of the flooding. There have been 2 confirmed deaths but more are expected to come. Thousands are coming from across the country to help but more is needed. Right now the number one priority is for the safety of the people of East Texas.

Read more here.

Questions-

1. What would you do if your family was stranded and your house was flooded, where would you go?

2. If you had the option of getting out of the storm would you take it or would you stay and try to help other people who are stranded?

Response-

I would try to get my family on high and dry land, and then I would try to contact as many people as I can, and try to tell them where I was. If I had the option to leave I think I would get my family out first then I would go back and try to help save as many people as I could especially if I knew I was capable of doing so.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree but I don't think I would wait for the red cross, they are already helping thousands of people and I would have no idea how long it would take them to find us. I would get my family out right away if I could. Thanks for the comment!

• Since my home is on the top of a hill i doubt that my home would ever be flooded. If i were to live in a home that could be flooded i would leave as soon as the waters started getting to peoples homes around me to save my things and family. I would stay until i knew there wasn't hope for my home before i left it.

• I would hopefully get my family into a safe and high area. I would try and help others if possible. I would definitely leave the area beforehand because there is more danger in that area than in other places. I wouldn't go back during the storm because there isn't much you can do during the storm.

• I agree but I think I would go back into the storm because there are always ways you can help, weather it be saving people, or just bringing clothes and food for the people without shelter. Thanks for the comment!

• If me and my family were in this situation, we would try to get to a safe, high area. We would wait it out as long as possible until help arrives. If I had the option to leave I would and then I would want to help others and bring them to safety. 

• I would have my family get to high and dry land then i would try to save as many as i could if it were possible. I would also salvage what i could to keep my family as well provided as was possible while we waited for rescue. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I wouldn't take a chance on waiting and being rescued because you have no idea how long it would take, that's why I would get my family out right away. But I agree with you when you say you would stay in the storm and help people. Thanks for the comment!

• I would try to help my family get to the safest place we could find. I would try to get to the closest place possible that is dry for my family to stay safe, and like you said a higher point to be safer. If I had the opportunity I would leave, I would contact friends and family to find a location near me where they are also safe. But, the workers who are helping people probably don't want to many people in there way of helping out.

• I agree with you when you say to get your family to the furthest place away that is dry. But I think I would still go back and try to help people, there is always different ways people can help! Thanks for the comment!

• 1. I would try to break out of my home and go wherever it was dry. I saw a video of many people kayaking through the deep waters, and I would definitely take a kayak and head north until I found dry lands. 

2. I would leave before the storm got to me, but take as many people as I could with me before the tragedy hurts everyone. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker