Flooding in Texas Traps Thousands

Hurricane Harvey has hit Texas hard but the hurricane itself isn't the worst part. Parts of Texas have gotten 24 inches of rain in the last 24 hours (as of noon on Sunday) and more rain is expected to come. The flooding has forced families out of their homes and stranded, some families are forced to go to their attics with axes in case they need to break through their roofs because of the flooding. There have been 2 confirmed deaths but more are expected to come. Thousands are coming from across the country to help but more is needed. Right now the number one priority is for the safety of the people of East Texas.

Read more here.

Questions-

1. What would you do if your family was stranded and your house was flooded, where would you go?

2. If you had the option of getting out of the storm would you take it or would you stay and try to help other people who are stranded?

Response-

I would try to get my family on high and dry land, and then I would try to contact as many people as I can, and try to tell them where I was. If I had the option to leave I think I would get my family out first then I would go back and try to help save as many people as I could especially if I knew I was capable of doing so.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job overall Brady! You only made comments on two different days instead of three. 

• I my family was in Texas and had to evacuate, I would go to somewhere that I had family and somewhere to stay to to get relaxed and out of trouble. I would stay as long as I am not in danger but if there is danger I would have to leave. 

• I would get my family somewhere where it is high and dry. I would call someone who would be able to help my family and I. If I could leave I would, and if I could leave I would try to take as many other people as I could if they needed any help, especially if I had other family there or that was around me.

• 1. I would get my family to the roof of our house and try to see if we can get help from people.

2. no I will stay and help because if i can help someone it will set good example to others 

• I think I would get my family out right away if I could just because I don't know how long it would take for people to find us, I agree with you when you say its the right thing to do to go back and help people ans set an example for others! Thanks for the comment!

• I would try to get my family to somewhere safe that wasn't very flooded and get them out of the storm as soon as I could. If I had the option to leave I would definitely get my family out first and them go back for other is i know it's possible. It's terrible that all these people are stranded and losing their homes and I hope that many more people volunteer, so that the damages can be repaired.  

• It's horrible for all of those people who are stranded out there with no homes, shelter, and uncertain about the future! I feel like we as a country need to go and help them in anyway possible! If I knew a major storm was coming, I would try to evacuate as early as possible and get as far inland as I could. I would rather leave the flooded area and then return to help people once it stopped raining. However, I also know that an evacuation statement wasn't issued early enough for Houston because they knew it would be impossible for all of those people to leave safely in time. 

• I would go to someone who had a boat and float my way to safety on dry land. I would make sure that I was safe and well equipped for the storm before I went to help.

• I think that's a really smart idea to find a boat but I don't know if I would rely on someone else with my family unless I truly trusted them! I also think its a really smart idea to make sure you are well equipped before going back to help people! Thanks for the comment!

• I would get my family to dry land or anywhere that was above the water. I would wait and try to get the red cross or anyone to come help us. I would try and get my loved ones out of the really bad stuff and them go back to try and help others get they family out. Or I would just call some people to help them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker