Facebook had a feature that targeted Anti-Semitic users.

Facebook had an ad feature that allowed Advertisers to target people who put things like "Jew Hater" in their education or employment field. Facebook would immediately have these transfer to the ad platform as categories that could be used for targeting by advertisers. The feature was originally meant to allow companies to direct ads based on users education or employment. Facebook removed the feature Friday. They said they would also prevent Advertisers from targeting users based on their education and Employment field until they have the right processes in place. Facebook also described the amount of people who put anything in there not related to the field boxes as "incredibly low." Facebook also admits that they sold over $100,000 worth of ads to a Russian Troll farm.

Read the full story here

Would you have released the feature if it would target Anti-Semitic users? Explain?

Have any of you every put something ridiculous or not related to the text field like some people did?

I wouldn't have, because it hasn't been fully tested and it would later come back and harm the company so it wouldn't be complete.

I have mainly something like the actual name of the text field for example; Education [Education], something similar like that nothing too ridiculous just replacing the empty box with its text field name.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• 1. Yes, it can possibly make people get along more by separating these people from each other.

2. No 

• Well because facebook is supposed to be a non-personal thing for everyone then no. No I don't really get on facebook. 

• No, I would have not ever released the feature that would target people who have a hatred for Jews. I believe there are better ways out there to deal with Anti-Semitic users on social media than to generate a feature to target them. I haven't ever put something ridiculous in a text field. I don't see the point in doing so and I think it was gratuitous for the Anti-Semitic users to put "Jew Hater" in their education or employment field.

• no i wouldnt because it could come back and harm me. i havent really usuly when that stuff come up and where i just click out and move on with it. 

• No, I don't think that the feature should have even been released in the first place because it allows people to put down anything as their job or education. Which could be irrelevant to what they were actually doing. If people were to look at your Facebook status before they hired you and the education or occupation was wrong that could cause problems. I don't think I have ever put something ridiculous on my Facebook status. 

• I would not release this kind of feature for targeting anti-semitic users because there is still freedom of speech and this would allow people to be called out on things like this and publicize someone for their beliefs is not they way to deal with that. What is they made this kind of ting for anything like what hobbes you were into? I have never put anything strange and crazy like that online like others have before. 

• I don't really care, I think that if they want to publicly put out there, their hatred then they can be targeted.

• I would not have released the feature that would target people who have a hatred for Jews. I think there are better ways to deal with Anti-Semitic users on social media than creating a feature to target them. Doing so, in a way, is just creating unnecessary commotion. I haven't ever put something ridiculous or not related in the text field like some people did. I don't see a need to do so and think it was inappropriate for those Anti-Semitic users to put things like "Jew Hater" in their education or employment field. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker