Earthquake Shakes Many in Mexico

A magnitude 8.1 earthquake struck Mexico Thursday. The earthquake is the biggest to strike Mexico in over 100 years. There were multiple aftershocks felt from this earthquake, many reaching over 5.0 magnitude. The quake was felt by over 50 million people. The earthquake has caused extreme damage, including the deaths of over 90 people. The quakes epicenter was located 74 miles off the coast Chiapas, and was felt as far as Mexico City and Guatemala. Military and other rescue crews are continuing the search for the deceased and misplaced people. The rescue crews are in dire need of medical supplies for the wounded and sick. Following the earthquake there were multiple tsunamis reported. One with a wave coming in at about 6 feet. Tsunamis warning were issued in New Zealand.

Questions:

1) How would you react if there was an earthquake near you? Would you leave? Or would you stay around to help?

2)Would you ever consider living in an area with lots of earthquakes? If so, why or why not?

My thoughts:

I would go outside away from buildings to avoid the damage. I would stay around to help as many people as I can. I would live in an area with lots of earthquakes if it is the best place for me to live.

Read the full story HERE

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Brett! Due to injury, I will let the three day requirement go.

• I would try to get away as soon as possible but after I knew it was safe, I would go back and help clean up and look for people. I would want to keep my family safe and try to help others keep theirs safe. I would consider living in an area with lots of earthquakes if I knew it was the right place for me to be. It wouldn't be my first choice but I would consider it. 

• I would leave as soon as I got the chance. There is no reason to stay after an earthquake.

I don''t think I would choose to live in an area like that, but if I had to then I guess I wouldn't have a chose.

• 1. I would be in shock, so I wouldn't really know what to do. I would definitely stay around and help any injured people that needed my help. 2. I wouldn't want to live in an area with a lot of earthquakes because for one that would boost insurance of a house up a lot. Secondly, there's a risk of being killed and I would want to keep myself out of danger.

• i would react scared and i don't know if i would stay or leave it all just depends on how it all happened. I would prefer not to live there but if i had to i wouldn't object to it at all.

• I would be really scared if their was an earthquake near me because they can be very dangerous and can destroy whole cities. I would probably leave to get out of the area for a few days, and then come back to help people get to a safe place. I wouldn't really want to live in an area with big earthquakes, but if I had to live in an area like that, I would just hope there wouldn't be a big one. 

• I would try and get away from buildings and big things that could fall. I would stay and help the community with anything that needed to done. I wouldn't want to live in an area with earthquakes because it would be scary to have that potentially happening. 

• 1) I would probably move away from buildings, streetlights, utility wire, and all that stuff. Then when the shaking is done I would go and find people. So I would stay in the town to help people. 

2) No I would not want to live in a place where there is a lot of earthquakes because if my house collapses or falls apart I don't want to rebuild or buy a new one. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • Good idea to get away from any of the structures. I would also stick around to help. Good point with the comparison of tornadoes, I never thought about that.

• If there was an earthquake around hear i would make sure my family was safe then i would try and help as much as possible. i wouldn't mind living in a place where there are earthquakes as long as they aren't vary frequent. I don't think there is a place in the states where there are no natural disasters    

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker