Earthquake Shakes Many in Mexico

A magnitude 8.1 earthquake struck Mexico Thursday. The earthquake is the biggest to strike Mexico in over 100 years. There were multiple aftershocks felt from this earthquake, many reaching over 5.0 magnitude. The quake was felt by over 50 million people. The earthquake has caused extreme damage, including the deaths of over 90 people. The quakes epicenter was located 74 miles off the coast Chiapas, and was felt as far as Mexico City and Guatemala. Military and other rescue crews are continuing the search for the deceased and misplaced people. The rescue crews are in dire need of medical supplies for the wounded and sick. Following the earthquake there were multiple tsunamis reported. One with a wave coming in at about 6 feet. Tsunamis warning were issued in New Zealand.

Questions:

1) How would you react if there was an earthquake near you? Would you leave? Or would you stay around to help?

2)Would you ever consider living in an area with lots of earthquakes? If so, why or why not?

My thoughts:

I would go outside away from buildings to avoid the damage. I would stay around to help as many people as I can. I would live in an area with lots of earthquakes if it is the best place for me to live.

Read the full story HERE

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think I would make sure me and my family were safe first then I would stay and help the people that needed help. I think I would consider living there if there were good benefits of actually living in that region, this is a great story!

• Agreed, I would take care of my family first and then help as much as I could. I would agree with the fact that the benefits would have to outweigh the bad.

• I would be absolutely terrified and I would leave, depending on how close the earthquake is to me. I'm not sure if I would stay around and help - I couldn't say because I've never been in that situation. No because I mean, obviously, it's not safe at all.

• Interesting. I would agree that it would be a very scary situation. Would you not move there even if there was a great job opportunity?

• I would try to get the safety first and help as many people as I can on the way to safety. I would stay to help other people out so more people could be rescued or found. It would depend on how prepared the city is if the city is extremely well prepared then yes and if not then no it also depends on the kinds of earthquakes they get like if they're really small then definitely if not then no.

• I would be scared and look for a place to stay that was safe. I would still want to help others but also help my family first. No because the damage is a lot of money. 

• I would get out of there if an earthquake was happening and come back and help with the aftermath. I probably would consider going to a place with lots of earthquakes though, unless it had a lot of other benefits.

• I get what you are saying. But, do you think it would be better to sit tight while the earthquakes happen or get out as fast as you can?

• I wouldn't like to be in an area with lots of earthquakes so I would leave and help others leave. I would love to stay around and help, but I'm not really qualified for those missions. I would probably raise money and supplies to help!

• I would be brave and strong and take shelter. I wouldn't leave I would find nice stable ground that is mostly all concrete. I would live where ever my job was so if my job was near and earthquake zone then yes I would live there but not own a house until I had a family just rent so if it the apartment falls it's not my problem. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker