Earthquake Shakes Many in Mexico

A magnitude 8.1 earthquake struck Mexico Thursday. The earthquake is the biggest to strike Mexico in over 100 years. There were multiple aftershocks felt from this earthquake, many reaching over 5.0 magnitude. The quake was felt by over 50 million people. The earthquake has caused extreme damage, including the deaths of over 90 people. The quakes epicenter was located 74 miles off the coast Chiapas, and was felt as far as Mexico City and Guatemala. Military and other rescue crews are continuing the search for the deceased and misplaced people. The rescue crews are in dire need of medical supplies for the wounded and sick. Following the earthquake there were multiple tsunamis reported. One with a wave coming in at about 6 feet. Tsunamis warning were issued in New Zealand.

Questions:

1) How would you react if there was an earthquake near you? Would you leave? Or would you stay around to help?

2)Would you ever consider living in an area with lots of earthquakes? If so, why or why not?

My thoughts:

I would go outside away from buildings to avoid the damage. I would stay around to help as many people as I can. I would live in an area with lots of earthquakes if it is the best place for me to live.

Read the full story HERE

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would agree with what you said in the beginning. So would you stay in the apartment when you had a family or move somewhere else? 

• 1) I would be scared and would look for a safe place and may help other people.

2) No, because I would be afraid of getting injured or dying. 

• I would be shocked since we don't get much of anything like that in Iowa. I would try to leave to protect myself and my family if I could. I probably would consider living in an area with lots of earthquakes if that's where I wanted to be.

• 1. I would be very surprised, since we live in Iowa. After the earthquake, since there's no fear of tsunamis, I would try to do what I could to help others. If I lived somewhere where the were tsunamis, I would get away as fast as I could to find higher ground, like most people would. 

2. Not really. If I had to, I would, but if I have a choice I would probably stay in the Midwest. 

• I would try to protect myself and my family members along with other people near me. I would probably be really scared. I would want to try to help out as much as I could. I don't know if I would want to live in a place with a lot of Earthquakes because there would always be destruction of some sort. It probably wouldn't be my first choice, but if I like it there then I would probably live there. 

• I would be really scared if there was an earthquake near me. I don't think I would be able to leave in time because you can't really predict an earthquake. After the earthquake, I would try to help my neighbors and anyone else I could. I would have to weigh the pros and cons of the area before I decided to move there. If the pros out weigh the amount of earthquakes, I would probably still move there.

• True, I wonder if they will ever come up with a way to predict them. Good point on the pros and cons. That approach is probably used by many home owners already!

• 1) I would stay around and help because it would be difficult to leave when the ground is moving, causing deaths and buildings shifting. 

2) I would not want to live around there, although if my job was located near there, I would. 

• 1. If there was an earthquake near me and many people were impacted I would stay around to help because if I was a person that had it hard I would like for there to be  people around to help me. 

2.  It would depend on the job I have and how important it was to be in that location. No matter where you live there is a chance for a  natural disaster but I feel that earthquakes are common in some places and have the potential to cause a lot of damage. 

• 1. I would leave until the earthquake was over then come back to help clean up the town and my house. 

2. I like living in Iowa or in the Midwest so I don't think I would ever move to an area that had many earthquakes. I don't think I would like living in an area with many earthquakes so no.

I am surprised that people stay in their town and in their house when they know an earthquake is coming. If an earthquake was coming, I would leave then come back once it was over to help out.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker