Distrust arising towards the Red Cross organization?

The 136 year old institution known as the Red Cross is causing some distrust over their spending of donations. With the recent hurricanes the Red Cross has collected $211 million in donations. But social media has been slamming them with with their CEO Gail McGovern saying that 91 cents of each donated dollar goes to hurricane relief. Many media investigations are angered by the performance from the Red Cross organization when they discovered up to 25% of total donations are used on the organizations own expenses. And reports have shown that this is not the first time in the event of a hurricane that the Red Cross has done this. Investigations into Red Cross spending has shown that although they have not been using all donations they claim that the small fraction taken from each is still used for there growth to help people. For instance training volunteers and gaining supplies. While other charities such as Catholic Charities USA tweeted out the 100% of the donations go to Harvey and Irma relief. While some dis the Red Cross, others seem to still believe in what they are trying to do. Claiming that even with peoples donations going to both relief and their own expenses that hey are still #1 respondents and are vital to helping save lives from massive disasters as the past has shown. And without there help and fast reacting time many people would be worse off due to these natural disasters. 

My personal opinion is that this organization is still worth donating to. Looking back on records they have helped save many lives and are essential to may victims recoveries. All organisations have expenses and i'm sure they are not the only ones who don't give 100% to relief. At least why they do it still benefits them which also helps benefit the people they help. It is not going in volunteers pockets or anything. Then they wouldn't be volunteers! I think people have good reason to be upset but I don't think they deserve the hate some people are giving them. Its 9% get over it. These people have a good record for helping others and with all this weather disaster going on right now any charity could use all the help they can get.

Questions: 

1. How do you feel about only 91% of donations to the Red Cross organization going towards the hurricane relief? Do you think it is ok or wrong? 

2. What other charities with "clean slates" do you think could be more worthy of peoples donations?

3. How would you handle the spending situation and how would you decide what percent of money goes where?

Hyperlink to article here.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Thomas! I do think you could have commented a few more times to student comments.

• I think it's okay and is still worth donating to. I would not change anything about how they spend money that they get. The Red Cross is a good organization and they help lots of people and they only take very Small percentage.

• 1. I think it's totally okay that they are taking 9% of the donations to be able to help others, it's for them t be able to help others so I think its good that they take that small percentage for themselves. 

3. I don't think I would change anything about how they spend the money that they get. They are obviously a good organization and help many people so they must be doing something right.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree with your statement. A charity needs money to function and train volunteers. They can not really do what they are meant to when they have no money for supplies and stuff. I know that every other charity out there doesn't give that 100% so just because he Red Cross is easily recognizable shouldn't mean the effect of anger towards them should be increased. They are doing the same things as many other charities. I think what they are doing is ok. 

• i think that it is ok i mean most people are gonna need new homes and tbh i got no idea many charitys put some tords new homes some tords food and cloths medicin and what ever else they may need i gess

• I agree. With Red Cross being such a huge charity it is hard to find another worthy of donations. With others being so small in comparison if they did these shenanigans to the same degree or even worse it would go unnoticed by most. 91% is still a lot. 

• i dont think that it is ok for them to be scamming them like this. im not sure that there really is a different place to donate no others have made it known they want to. i would fire whoever did it and 100 percent would go there to the canes

• I understand the other argument quite well but I honestly think that even with this news they are still worthy of donations because even if not all are used you cant deny that with all they get that much of it goes towards the hurricanes and way more is used to help with the hurricanes than to deal with expenses. I think if anything 9% could be taken down a little bit. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree with your opinion which agrees with my opinion. I think the only reason this group in particular is getting hate is because they are a big name charity when compared to may others. A fault among them would be way more known to the people who donate than to one of a lesser status. People should trust that they know what they are doing and known the best way to get the job done. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker