Destiny 2 Apology for 'Nazi-inspired' Kekistan Flag

Destiny 2 Developer, Bungie, was in hot water when people found a hunter gauntlet in the game that resembled the 'Kekistan flag' associated with internet trolls and alt-right. The item matches the design and coloring of the kekistan flag - a banner made for a fictional country, which anti-racism campaigners says was modeled on a Nazi war flag. Bungie said "It has come to our attention that a gauntlet shares elements with a hate symbol." "It is not intentional, we are removing it." Bungie has not provided any other information on how the art has been included in the first place. 

Story Here

Questions 

1. How would you feel if you were a game developer and your team found this in the game?

2. How would you feel if you were a fan of this game and found a symbol like this in the game? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think my reaction would be straight from how the media saw it because I definitely don't agree with using white power or nazi like customs. People also have rights to express them selves and no matter how hard our society wants racism to end I don't believe that it will completely. I Probably would just ignore it because it has been spotted in other games.  

• i would be quite mad at them, someone intentionally put that in because in computer programming every little thing can make a difference. If I actually played this game then I would probably not notice it. The thing that really bothers me about this is this gave was analyzed many times before being sold and so there were many people that did not do their job and did not think that this could be even slightly offensive. 

• if i was the developer i would do everything in my power to find the person who added this and they would lose their job because i'm guess that they knew what they were doing. well personally i'm not a fan of the game but if i was this would make me feel very badly toward the game.

• id feel like i was just designing a fun game but its al so feedom of speach and if i was the kid playing it i would not have even noticed it wile playing in the game 

• Well If I caught it I would have token it down so nobody took it the wrong way and the game could still possibly go on. I wouldn't make too big of a deal about it because it was probably a mistake and they didn't mean it like that. So I would notify the the game people and let them know so they could do something about it.

• Well if you were a developer you don't know 100% of every detail in your game. I would just say it as it is. It was not like an intentional thing. It's not like they meant to have this happen. I think in today's society people get riled up and angry over everything they can for no real reason so its not that bad. People always search their games for thing like references and Easter eggs but this is going a bit far to be hating over it. You don't but games for $50+ just to find something about them that may be a mistake you don't like to hat on the company and developers. Jut enjoy the game.  

• I agree. I really dont think Bungie intentionally meant to put it into the game, but as a multi-million dollar company, its good that they addressed it and removed it out of the game, even if it isn't too big of a deal. This still doesn't take away from my stance of the game, as I am enjoying it a ton right now. 

• I feel that if I was a fan of the game and found a symbol like this, I really wouldn't think much of it. I might find it a bit strange that the developers would put something that controversial in their game especially with  how the media is these days. I would then remember that the game is not real life and the developers were just creating a symbol for a fictional planet and probably didn't intend for it to mean anything bad.

• As a game developer I would get down to the bottom of who put it in the game and have them fired immediately. If I was a fan of this game I wouldn't think to much of it sometimes this could be all by accident or it was just some little joke. 

• I would have done the same thing personally. As an influencing game publisher like Bungie and a massive game like Destiny 2, it is very important not to have any hate symbols that possibly offend someone in your game. As a fan, it would matter what your stance is.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker