Moon and Jupiter Special Event on 2017 Autumn Equinox

September 22, 2017 marks the date where Summer ends and Autumn begins. There are two equinoxes in a year: one marks the start of Spring, and the other Autumn. On equinoxes, day and night are equal length. This fall equinox is special because the moon and Jupiter will become close together and clearly visible on the 22nd and 23rd and they will be best visible shortly after sunset. For those that can't see this event due to cloudy weather, there will be another conjunction of the moon and Saturn on the 25th of September. The star Antares, which in Greek means "rival of Mars", will also be nearby to add to the scene in the sky.

Link to the article here.

1. What are your thoughts on the events that are going to take place? 

2. What season is your favorite? Why?

1) I think that this will be cool thing to see. It's not everyday you see Jupiter in the sky. Sure, it's not as fancy as a solar eclipse, but I'm always interested to see planets and things in space. 

2) I really like Autumn since it's not hot or cold (at least it's supposed to be that way), and the air becomes drier and less humid. The weather also only gets cooler, unlike Spring where it gets hotter. I would rather be cold than hot. I have other reasons than the weather, like the upcoming holidays and being able to wear long sleeves without getting hot. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that it is very cool. I would like to see this happen and see Jupiter and know what im looking at. I like the winter because that means hunting season is in full swing and I love hunting.

• I really like hunting too. I normally go white-tail hunting at some of my dad's property (or someone he know's property), but sometime soon I'd like to try pheasant hunting too.

• I think this is really cool, I used to be really into astrology and so I know a ton about this type of thing so I really like knowing the dates. I like winter because its cold, marching band is over so not as many early mornings, and then I can go snowboarding.

• I really like astrology too, but I don't really know a whole lot about it. I like Winter too, especially since sleeping feels so much better then.

• I think this is really cool! Especially since I haven't ever seen another planet before! Let alone 2! That's why I think this is a really cool event! My favorite season is fall because of the perfect weather and football starts up again!

• I'm glad to hear that you're excited for it! The planets are really awesome to me too. 

• I think it would have been neat to see. I like summer, it's hot out and you don't have to go to school and you can do a lot of things in summer.

• Summer is sure a time of opportunity for new things, outside of school and sometimes out of the state of Iowa. 

• 1. i think that they are going to be pretty neat to witness and I hope that there are not any clouds that day.

2. I definitely think that summer is the best because for most of summer we do not have school and that is amazing.

• Summer vacation is always fun. Every year there's always a new story to tell.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker