Moon and Jupiter Special Event on 2017 Autumn Equinox

September 22, 2017 marks the date where Summer ends and Autumn begins. There are two equinoxes in a year: one marks the start of Spring, and the other Autumn. On equinoxes, day and night are equal length. This fall equinox is special because the moon and Jupiter will become close together and clearly visible on the 22nd and 23rd and they will be best visible shortly after sunset. For those that can't see this event due to cloudy weather, there will be another conjunction of the moon and Saturn on the 25th of September. The star Antares, which in Greek means "rival of Mars", will also be nearby to add to the scene in the sky.

Link to the article here.

1. What are your thoughts on the events that are going to take place? 

2. What season is your favorite? Why?

1) I think that this will be cool thing to see. It's not everyday you see Jupiter in the sky. Sure, it's not as fancy as a solar eclipse, but I'm always interested to see planets and things in space. 

2) I really like Autumn since it's not hot or cold (at least it's supposed to be that way), and the air becomes drier and less humid. The weather also only gets cooler, unlike Spring where it gets hotter. I would rather be cold than hot. I have other reasons than the weather, like the upcoming holidays and being able to wear long sleeves without getting hot. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't pay lot of attention to the moon and the stars so the events won't affect me that much. My favorite season is spring because that's when baseball starts.

• I glad you like baseball. I like watching it, but I wouldn't want to really play myself. I like the stars and planets and stuff, but I don't have the constellations memorized or stuff like that. It's just neat to me to look at.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I like hunting and the winter holidays a lot too. I agree that this won't be as fancy as the eclipse, but is still a pretty thing to happen with all the earthquakes and hurricanes going on.

• It is very interesting that it happens at this time of year and it is cool that we can see another planet. It just shows everyday people what scientists see and astronomers see. MY favorite season is spring, because of the weather. I enjoy the warm weather and lots of rain, plus we just got done with winter, winter is my least favorite season.

• I generally enjoy all the seasons, but my favorites are Fall and Winter. Those are just the times when I feel like doing things more, since I personally don't really like hot weather. It's good that you enjoy it, though.

• I think its really unique  because it's about a topic we don''t know a lot about. I like fall because of the vibes you get I think everyone enjoys football and Halloween. I think there are many fun festivities that you can do comfortably because of the weather not being hot or cold.

• I agree. The bugs also start dying, so that'll make the outdoor activities even more lively.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree that green is a happy color. Seeing all the plants grow back is also pretty uplifting. 

• this is really really cool. its not often that something like this happens. my favorite season is winter because of all the snow and the ice cristals it just makes the whole world seem alien and cool.

• "Alien" is a good way to put it. The snow and ice really can do weird things. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker