Moon and Jupiter Special Event on 2017 Autumn Equinox

September 22, 2017 marks the date where Summer ends and Autumn begins. There are two equinoxes in a year: one marks the start of Spring, and the other Autumn. On equinoxes, day and night are equal length. This fall equinox is special because the moon and Jupiter will become close together and clearly visible on the 22nd and 23rd and they will be best visible shortly after sunset. For those that can't see this event due to cloudy weather, there will be another conjunction of the moon and Saturn on the 25th of September. The star Antares, which in Greek means "rival of Mars", will also be nearby to add to the scene in the sky.

Link to the article here.

1. What are your thoughts on the events that are going to take place? 

2. What season is your favorite? Why?

1) I think that this will be cool thing to see. It's not everyday you see Jupiter in the sky. Sure, it's not as fancy as a solar eclipse, but I'm always interested to see planets and things in space. 

2) I really like Autumn since it's not hot or cold (at least it's supposed to be that way), and the air becomes drier and less humid. The weather also only gets cooler, unlike Spring where it gets hotter. I would rather be cold than hot. I have other reasons than the weather, like the upcoming holidays and being able to wear long sleeves without getting hot. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it'll be a cool thing to see for others to watch. I wouldn't be as excited about it since I'm not into astronomy as much as other people. My favorite season is fall, because the leaves are dying and the colors they turn out to be when they are dying are beautiful. I love the chilly weather as well. Although, I usually become sick in the fall and winter more often, which isn't very great for me. 

• Everyone has their different interests, and that's okay. If I get sick (excluding the common cold), it's usually in the Summer. I seem to get colds year round.

• I think it would be super cool that we can see Jupiter, and Saturn clearly sometimes. My favorite season is the fall because it's not to hot or cold, and my favorite holiday is Halloween. I also like it because the humidity starts to go away and so do the bugs. 

• I didn't even realize Saturn was able to be seen from Earth at all until reading this article. Space continues to amaze me.

• I think it would be cool because day and night are going to be equal amount of time, also you get see Saturn and the moon together. I have a tie breaker between summer and spring, summer because you get to go to the pool, also go on lots of vacation also get to have ice cream, another reason is you get to wear shorts and tank tops. Then I have spring which I like because you get to see beautiful flowers and it is almost the start season for my favorite sport which is trapshooting, but trapshooting season starts in February but it is the perfect season for sports outside cause it so warm and a little cool outside.

• I've gone trapshooting once, and it was a lot of fun too. It was towards the end of the Summer, so it was still hot out but it was still great.

• it would be awesome to see an event like this, to see Jupiter as close as would be a very fun experience. summer, because you can practice sports, exercise or go to the beach oh to different fun places like water parks.

• There are indeed lots of things to do in Summer. Too bad swimming isn't a Winter or Fall thing.

• I think that being able to see Jupiter is pretty cool, anything with space interests me so much. Being able to see that from so far away is amazing. My favorite season is Autumn because of football season, sweatshirts, beauty of nature, and what I like the best is the temperature not too cold but not too hot.

• It's crazy to think that something so far away can be seen with the naked eye, especially when that thing is visible on the day of the equinox. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker