Moon and Jupiter Special Event on 2017 Autumn Equinox

September 22, 2017 marks the date where Summer ends and Autumn begins. There are two equinoxes in a year: one marks the start of Spring, and the other Autumn. On equinoxes, day and night are equal length. This fall equinox is special because the moon and Jupiter will become close together and clearly visible on the 22nd and 23rd and they will be best visible shortly after sunset. For those that can't see this event due to cloudy weather, there will be another conjunction of the moon and Saturn on the 25th of September. The star Antares, which in Greek means "rival of Mars", will also be nearby to add to the scene in the sky.

Link to the article here.

1. What are your thoughts on the events that are going to take place? 

2. What season is your favorite? Why?

1) I think that this will be cool thing to see. It's not everyday you see Jupiter in the sky. Sure, it's not as fancy as a solar eclipse, but I'm always interested to see planets and things in space. 

2) I really like Autumn since it's not hot or cold (at least it's supposed to be that way), and the air becomes drier and less humid. The weather also only gets cooler, unlike Spring where it gets hotter. I would rather be cold than hot. I have other reasons than the weather, like the upcoming holidays and being able to wear long sleeves without getting hot. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it would be cool to see Jupiter in the sky. Things like this don't happen in space every single day. I really like fall because it's cooler and I can wear sweatshirts and be warm. I enjoy the leaves falling and the cooler weather.

• I really like sweatshirts too. Space is just incredible when you take a moment to take in the greatness of it. 

• I think that is really cool how summer turns into fall and the weather changes and how the equinoxes work. This is funny because this article is talking about how summer turns into fall and fall is my favorite season of then year. Fall is my favorite season of the year because its not to hot or cold it perfect weather and there Halloween and cute fall outfits plus my birthday.

• I agree that equinoxes and the weather are cool. It's a routine that stays interesting. Also, happy early (or late) birthday!

• I think it is interesting and cool that we have seen so many different things in the sky this year: first the solar eclipse and now this. My favorite season is fall. I like fall because it is not too hot and not too cold. I love it when the leaves change different colors.

• It's like the sky is putting on a show for us. Maybe a meteor shower will be next! I like Fall for those reasons too, but also for the holidays that are coming up.

• I think this is pretty cool considering everything else that has been happening in the world. It's goof to have a peaceful event during major damaging events.

My favorite season is Fall, because it's not to cold but not to hot.

• Thinking about it that way is really nice. Hurricanes and earthquakes are wracking the Southern states and Mexico, but there's still a moment of beauty in the sky to give hope.

• I agree I have never thought about it this way, with everything bad going on in the world the sky has it's peace for the world. By looking up to the sky into something peaceful it can make you feel more safe. 

• I think it will for sure be interesting to see Jupiter in the sky. It's not everyday that you get to see another planet in the sky, but it'll be a cool thing to see. My favorite season is summer because there is no school and I get to show calves at the fair. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker