Ancient Tomb Mummies Unveiled in Egypt

The Egyptian authorities found undiscovered ancient tomb things that belonged to a goldsmith and his wife. This tomb was located at Draa Abul Nagaa necropolis. The tomb contained mummies, sarcophagi, statuettes, pots, and many other artifacts. It was said that it belonged to Amenemhat which means god and his wife. Mostafa Al-Wasziri led the egyptian team who dug up the tomb that was 3,500 years old. The team thought the god was a man but they found indications that is was a women. The researchers that were in the tomb also found a lot of skulls. The entrance relieved the courtyard of another tomb that lead to a chamber containing a sandstone statue of the Amenemhat and the husband and their son. Usually the daughter would be the one in this statue, but if there is no daughters they would take their daughter-in-law. It was very unusual to see the son. They also found burial shafts and funerary masks carved in wood along with statuettes of the goldsmith and his wife.Archaeologists also found the mummies of a woman and her two adult children in another burial shaft in the courtyard. They believe this tomb will lead to knew discoveries in the future.The tomb also holds clues to new tombs, in the form of funerary cones belonging to four officials whose burial spots have not yet been found.

Do you think that they will find more tombs in the future?

Do you think its weird that they had a saute with the son instead of the daughter?

Red the full story, here!

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Interesting story! Be sure to include your opinions into your summary and also be sure to comment on three different days.

• I think that it is very possible that they will find more. I think that it is interesting that they found the son. The discovery of the son instead of the daughter could lead to more information about the people that they didn't know before.

• I think that they will always find more tombs because there are lots of Egyptians that buried their dead in tombs that were unknown to many.

I find it interesting that the statue was of the son, but it also shows the uniqueness of this tomb considering they also thought the god was a man, but had indications that it was a woman instead.

• I think they will always find tombs. There are so many kings and queens that we have no clue existed.

I think it is a little unusual because that goes against their traditions, but I'm sure they needed to put some type of statue there.

• Yes, I think that they will find more tombs in the future because they now have these facts to help them look for the others. 

I think that it is a little odd how it had the son and not the daughter because that was the tradition so it seems odd, but maybe that was them changing their culture.

• i think that they could possibly find more graves because it could be a graveyard. no because the family didn't have a daughter and the daughter in law didn't want to have it done to her.

• I think that they will probably find more tombs in the future because now we have more clues on where to look and there is also more technology. I think that it is a little weird that the god they found was a woman and the statue was the son instead of the daughter in law, but maybe the woman did something heroic and they decided to give her special treatment, and maybe their was no daughter or daughter-in-law to put on the statue so they put the son instead.

• I think it is very possible to find things like this because in modern day and all the technology we have they could lead to more discoveries. It is a bit weird that the daughter wasn't a statue because sons are no better than daughters but it could be something to do with their beliefs/traditions.

• With the new technology we have, I'm sure there's going to be more tombs found. I'm not really familiar with Egyption traditions, but it does seems weird that the son was on the statue instead of the daughter. Maybe it was some kind of leader trying to break tradition.

• I think that they will find more tombs in the future considering that this one left clues of the others. This sounds like a very different way of life than most of the others from there time. The god seems to be a women and the statue of the husband and son instead of daughter/daughter in law is very different as well, so yes this is weird.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker