There is one study going out saying that if schools started classes later it would save money. Most school in the US start no later than 8:30. According to this study only 18 percent of school start classes at 8:30 or later. The body of middle school aged students and above are used to going to bed late, and then in return getting up late. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that student of middle school age and above get at least 8 1/2 hours of sleep. One study has shown that lack of sleep can cause poor health, bad academic performances, and even criminal activity. One of the authors of this study says that this later start time would make money in as little as two years. Most of the money coming from better academic scores, and less car crashes. Teenagers tend to be very tired in the morning which means they are more likely to get into a car accident. This study says by starting classes later teens will not have as many car accidents. The only issue found with this study was that schools would have to hire more buses with more bus drivers. Some schools would also have to install lights for sport fields because of practice being later in the day.

Find the full story here.

Questions: Would you like this rule applied to out school? Why or Why not?

Would later practice times be beneficial or not beneficial for peoples schedules?

My Answers:

I think that the rule would be great for our school. There are lots of people who are tardy to school just because they don't have time in the morning.

I think that later practice schedules would be better because when you practice right after school parents can't always come get you right away. You have to sit and wait for someone to come and get you

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• i would love it it they applied this rule to school. it would give us more time to sleep and pay better attention in class. I also belive that many people would be more on time and more willing to actually try to learn.

I think that later practices would actually benefit a lot of people who are very busy at 3:30/ 4:00

• My views were similar to yours. I think that the rule would get kids to pay attention a lot more than they actually do. Kids also would not sleep in class and get their work done.

• yes i would like this rule i would have time in the mornings to get ready for the day and eat breakfast while giving me a little more time to sleep in 

yes later practice would be awesome because then you don't have to wait to get picked up because your parents will be off work by that time and can come get you instead of waiting for your parents to get off then waiting for them to get to the school and by that time you could have waled home been showed and in your pj's watching that  Netflix series that your really into but never have enough time to watch because you have other stuff to do.

• 1) I would but yet I wouldn't like this idea because the idea of having school later means school would go later and I would rather have some time at home to relax and even go out with some sun light out. But if this would play along I wouldn't be able to do that.

2) I do think it would benefit our sporting activities to have them later so you can almost get that game like feeling instead of the 2:45-5 practice. So I think it would be nice. Also, it wouldn't be as hot if it was at night or if it was in the morning so I feel athletes would preform better.

• I feel as though I would not like this rule applied to our school. If school started later in the day, then there is no room in the afternoon for other activities that rely on the daylight to be participated in. It would also bring on a lot of other problems such as procrastination. I feel that getting up for school in the morning is at a time when I am not fully aware so I can go to school without the full impact of the morning dragging my day down.

• I would of course like school to start later, I also realize that this makes it easier for coaches and band directors to start things earlier. I am in band and many days I have been at the school before the school is unlocked. I think that this will make it easier or them to get in an extra 30 min of practice. I think that we wont get later early morning practices but many sports dont get done until 5-5:30 and this is going to push it into 5:30-6 and im sorry but thats dinner time and if I know that everyday after school I wont be able to have dinner with my family then im not sure if I would do that sport.

• A later start time for school would be great! I, like most people, could use an extra half hour or more in the mornings. Later practice times wouldn't be a bad thing. I have play practice until 9:00 pm twice a week, and I know people who have dance until 10:30, so it's not like we haven't been introduced to the idea of school or sports activities going late into the day. 

• Well I feel like school starting later would be nice, but I feel like the schedule we have now is good. I feel like it would take a while to get used to the new schedule. I think that it would be less beneficial because people have jobs and important things going on in their lives that could be interfered by later practices. 

• My opinion is like yours. I think that the extra time in the morning would be nice. I also think that after school is really busy and this could mess up peoples schedules, but people will complain either way.

• I don't think I would want this to be applied at our school because a later start means the school day will go later into the day. It would be nice to sleep in every day, but having a later start would mean that sports would go later into the night leaving less time for homework and other activities. I think our school's starting time is fine and I wouldn't want practices to go any later than they already do. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker