Yelp For Humans

New app described as 'Yelp for humans.' (Corbis)

Peeple, a new app that is being promoted as “Yelp for humans,” lets individuals rate one another just like they’re restaurants, Ubers, Amazon products, or movies. 

Users will be able to give one- to five-star ratings of people with reviews — bad or good. Even non-members can be added by an individual plugging in the phone number of the person they want to rate. That person will subsequently receive a text with a notification that the profile was created for them and “they should check out what you said about them on our app.” Positive ratings go live right away while negative ones are queued in a private inbox for 48 hours, giving time to raise disputes. For unregistered users who can’t raise issue with unfavorable assessments, profiles only reveal glowing feedback. 

The app, which is currently in beta and only available for iPhone users, was created by Julia Cordray and Nicole McCullough with plans to launch widely in November. “People do so much research when they buy a car or make those kinds of decisions,” Cordray told the Washinton Post“Why not do the same kind of research on other aspects of your life?”

The co-founders want Peeple to be seen as if “Facebook, LinkedIn, and Tinder had a baby,“ which is in part true. But it’s more like Regina George and high school mean girls with burn books graduated from college with marketing degrees and coding skills and decided to relive the high school glory days of being queen bee through technology.

It’s an interesting political climate to release a tool promoting appraisal of individuals. The Internet, while still a breeding ground for body shaming and passing judgment, has seemingly plateaued and also become a place to fight back, tolerance for unfavorable at an all time low. Just look to celebrities such as Selena GomezGigi Hadid, and Lena Dunham who have called their detractors out. Not just on social media has this sea change been happening, in other mediums as well. Just look at the struggling Fashion Police for proof. Trash talking celebrities for game, pleasure, or laughs isn’t tolerated as it once was.

Original Link: https://www.yahoo.com/style/peeple-is-basically-a-digital-version-of-regina-163003718.html

My opinion: I don't think this will become nearly as big as some other sites like Facebook or Yelp, simply because anybody can post anything about anyone, meaning that there will be tons and tons of inaccurate information. 

Questions: Do you think this will turn into a major app that people will use for it's intended purpose? 

Given that this app is a success, could this be the beginning of the end of anonymity on the internet? Why or why not? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great story! Be sure to hyperlink correctly and comment a few more times.

• I think that people will poorly rate each other because it is human nature, so no I don't think that the app will be major and that people will use it for its intended purpose. I also don't think that if it is a success that it would be the end of anonymity on the internet because you could always create a fake profile as well as your real one and use your fake profile to poorly rate other people.

• people are just going to put nasty things about people We already have apps that bring people down  and it will become another must have social media account

• Yes I think so because any other one dose so why wouldent this one? It will probably tern out like facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat.

• On this app people are just going to put nasty things about people to make them feel about themselves.  We already have plenty of apps that bring people down about themselves.  We don't need any more like it.  

• I do think a lot of people will use this app and it will become another must have social media account, like Facebook, Instagram, or Snap chat. This will appeal to some people who are hiring for new employees at their business or who are searching for new friends, but I feel that this app will go south. The internet is a place of eye-opening, powerful information, but it is also one of negative. I just know that people, like trolls, will abuse this app and post nasty ratings and comments that might not even be true about a person, but because no one knows who they are they can get away with it. I also think it is unethical to make assumptions and opinions off a person you've never met using positive/negative reviews, for this app would make it seem that a person's value, at least on the internet, should be completely determined by a couple of people who just happened to come across your review page. It is definitely not an app that I will install on my phone anytime soon.

• Yes, trolls being a thing is an unfortunate reality. Although, I feel like they could implement a system that could allow rating to be reported as "inappropriate" to filter out the trolls. This would require a dedicated team to review all reports to get rid of them. It could work if it's done right from the beginning.  

• I think that it will turn out as a bad thing because people will shoot down people and. No because soempeople wont want to use it

• I think the app will blow up with popularity but it will become something negative I think the app will be bad for people self esteem.

• I think it will turn into a major app, but not for the good. I think it will put people down and make them feel bad about themselves. No because I don't think some people won't like being reviewed.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker