Yellowstone's Own Supervolcano

Most people go to Yellowstone for the geysers and the nature, but most people don't know what lies below all of that beauty. Yellowstone is the center of a massive supervolcano, capable of blocking out the sun and killing millions. This volcano has been known about for years, although new technology has brought into light how massive it truly is. Yellowstone's magma reserves are many magnitudes greater than previously thought, say scientists from the University of Utah. Underneath the national park's attractions and walking paths is enough hot rock to fill the Grand Canyon nearly 14 times over. This eruption would dwarf any eruption in written history. This new information doesn't make an eruption more likely to happen, about 1 in 700,000 chance in the next 100,000 years.

I think that it will be safe at least throughout my lifetime and I think that scientists need to keep studying it to learn more.

What would you do if Yellowstone erupted?

How would it change the world?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/24/us/yellowstone-supervolcano-magma-reservoir-discovery/index.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Even though we are quite a ways away we still would have almost 5 inches of ash.

• i wouldn't care if it erupted because we are going to someday so if this happens i wouldn't care.

it would chage the world because the ash would be devastated doing lots of damage.

• If yellow stone erupts it would cause mass panic in everyone including myself. i guess i would try and stay inside till the ash and everything settled.

• If yellowstone erupted I would probably be terrified and stay inside as long as possible but I'm not sure how long anyone would be able to last if something like that were to happen. It would kill millions of people and would kill many species of animals and plants possible making some species extinct. 

• I really do not know what I would do if yellowstone erupted.  I would maybe just try and wait it all out at my house and hope that I was safe there for now.  Well it could maybe ruin lots of landmarks and hurt many people and their homes.  It would almost make some of the world restart their lives from all the damage from ash and everything. 

• Even though we live so far away we would still be covered in almost 30-100 millimeters of ash.

• I don't know what I'd do if Yellowstone erupted, I just sincerely hope that is doesn't occur any time soon. If it did erupt, it would kill millions. If this would be bigger than any volcano in written history, then looking back at Pompeii, then it would be the worst disaster in written history. 

• Living far from it, I don't think I would be very worried about it but for the people who live close to it maybe I would have a room like some people had for atomic bombs but this time for an eruption. If it ever erupted I guess everything would be on fire.

• I'm not sure if I know what I would do if Yellowstone erupted, but I know that I would probably still be affected by it. I think if it erupted it could wipe out states and could kill many people, the eruption would definitely lead to tragedy.   

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker