A man by the name of Thomas Webb III, was wrongfully accused of raping a woman at the University of Oklahoma in the year of 1983. Finally, after serving 13 years in prison, new DNA evidence pointed to a new suspect. Showing everyone that the suspect had wrongly identified Thomas. After battling the state of Oklahoma for 21 years, Thomas was approved to receive a compensation check of $175,000 dollars. This check is designed to make up for all the lost paychecks one loses while serving time in prison. The amount a person is allowed to receive differs from state to state. 

Read more here

1. If you were wrongly convicted, and then released, what would you do with the all the money you just received?

2. Do you think $175,000 dollars is an equal compensation for serving 13 years in prison? why or why not?

My opinion: Depending on my financial situation, I would probably buy a cheap, starter house and a cheap car to get me from point a, to point b. I would put the rest of the money in the bank. I do not think $175,000 is a fair payment. If you added up all the checks a person could receive during a 13 year period it would be a lot more than $175,000 dollars.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good but most of your comments were done on the 17th. Space them out better.

• I would buy everything I need in live, a house, car, food, etc. I would want to save some of the money until I get a job. I do not think that after serving time you should be rewarded with all the money you lose while serving time in prison. It depends how much he had before prison, he could of gotten more or less of what he should have. I believe he should not have gotten anything.

• I would try to rebuild my life by getting a good place to live and getting a job. No it's not even close to enough compensation, but you can't expect them to pay you the full amount you might have earned. He should be happy he got anything.

• I would invest the money in stocks and try to find a new job. I think that $175,000 far to little money to make up for 13 years of your life taken away from you.

• I would buy a small house, and a car, and use whatever was left to pay for expenses (clothes, shoes, etc.) Personally, 175K isn't that much compensation for 13 years in prison. I think that it should be at least 2 million dollars for that much time in prison.

• I don't know what I would do with all of that money. I don't think that is enough money, I think it should be a lot more. 

• I would probably invest in stocks since they are at a all time high. Which means i could possibly turn $175,000 into $200,000. I think that $175,000 isnt enough because he lost alot of his young years where you explore and get to do things. And that is not enough money for how much time he lost... 

• I honestly don't know but I think I would just save it and get as much use out of it as i could. I think that he deserved way more money than that. Even if the government wasn't aloud to give him more like he literally just wasted his life for nothing.

• I would use the money for things that would benefit me. If I didn't have a home I would probably start with getting a house then I would probably get a car after that. I do think that $175,000 is enough money because if you did the calculations and then took out for all the taxes they would've had to pay that is a pretty close amount. Even if it isn't a close amount they could still use that money to get them back up on their feet. 

• I agree Abbie, using the money on things that would benefit you would be smarter than using for something that would get you back into jail. Buying things such as a house or car would be the best options if you ask me.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker