Worlds larges Cyber Attack takes place over weekend

I international cyber attack took place over the weekend affecting multiple countries. Ransomware is the biggest cyber attack in history and it's not over yet. Ransomeware works by locking people out of there computers and the only way to get back in is to pay by bitcoin. Once you pay the ransom the bitcoins go to the hackers. If you don't pay the ransom within a specific time, you are permanently locked out of your computer and all the files on the computer are released and deleted. The virus has affected over 200,000 people in 150 different countries.

Read more here

Questions-

What do you think the punishment for this crime for this should be?

What would you do if the virus attacked your computer?

Response-

I think that the hackers that did this should have life in prison since this is a international crime that has affected hundreds of thousands of people. As far as what I would do if my computer was attacked, I would most likely pay the ransom then once this is all solved, see if I can get my money back.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Jail time, hackers have the ability to cause huge amounts of damage with not a huge amount of input and from behind a keyboard. I would try to get rid of it by taking it to a professional or something and then go and change all my passwords and at last resort, I would just wipe my computer.

• I completely agree with you about the jail time, most likely life in prison. But as for the ransom, I don't think you have access to your computer to wipe it so I think I would just pay the ransom then take it to a professional. Thanks for the comment!

• I think you should go to jail for a really long time and pay a lot of money and give money back to the people you stole it from. I wouldn't really care because Im not on my computer that much and plus its the school.

• I agree with you when you say they should go to jail for a  very long time, and I think the should go to jail for life. But when you say you don't care about the ransom, if this was on your own personal computer I would assume you would pay it, and I agree with that. Thanks for the comment!

• I think the hackers should serve a long time in jail, if not life. This is a very serious crime that should not be handled lightly. If the virus attacked my computer, I would probably pay the ransom so I wouldn't lose any of my important files. I wouldn't want to lose all of my hard work over a stupid virus.

• I completely agree with you, and I also think that the hackers should serve life in prison, I also agree with you when you say you would pay the ransom to save your important files and hard work. Thanks for the comment!

• I personally wouldn't pay the ransom. I would just wait for the virus to get killed by computer security people, and then get back on and change my passwords around and make sure everything was how I left it.

• 1) Either a large fine or a few years in jail

2) I'd pay the fine so I wouldn't get locked out.

• I think they should be locked up for good for what they have done because this is a serious issue. I would probably pay the ransom so that I wasn't locked out or lose all my files. 

• I think that the punishment for this crime easily should be time in prison because it is an international crime. Not only that but it also goes against people's right to privacy. If I got hacked I would most likely pay the ransom because I don't want to lose my files or have anything leaked/deleted. I would try to get my money back but that would be unlikely to occur. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker