Women's Hair in the US. Army

Do you think that women in the US Army should have to wear their hair a certain way?

In 1948, Legislation formally allowed women to join the military. Ever since 1948 women have always had to follow many rules on how their hair could and could not be. For many years women have always had to wear their hair “Spick and span”. This means that their hair had to be put in a low bun, had to be out of their faces and had to have no fly-aways. 

In 2014, the Army started to change the rules concerning women's hair. Over the past year or two, they have added multiple options for women to choose from. Currentally, women have approximately 3 or more options. The 3 main options are; Low tight buns, Braids, and Ponytails. Some of the other rules women have to follow are things like; soldiers who choose dye/color their hair must not show 1.5 inches or more of natural root growth, hair colors must be natural looking and not distract from a soldier's performance or the performance of others, and no coloring your hair colors like; blue, pink, green, orange, etc. 

Soldiers have complained of contracting traction alopecia (TA) which is a type of hair loss that is often connected to certain hairstyling practices, like tight buns. Having multiple hairstyle choices, let soldiers keep from contracting this. 

Women have these rules for many reasons. These things help them with being and doing their best on the field. One of the sources below states, Staff Sgt. April Schacher, said that wearing the buns would make it hard to wear a helmet during training. It "would affect how low the helmet lies on our eyes, so, especially with shooting our weapons, that did affect being able to see the target properly," she says. 

I think women should have multiple options of how to wear their hair. As long as their hair is kept clean and neat. 

Questions:

• Do you think that women in the Army should have to keep their hair neat and tight?

• If you were in the US. Army, would you like to have multiple options of how to wear your hair? 

Sources:

https://www.army.mil/article/242536/army_announces_new_grooming_appearance_standards 

https://msmagazine.com/2021/03/22/army-haircut-women-grooming-standard/

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/23/999313152/the-army-is-expanding-allowed-hairstyles-for-women 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that sometimes their hair dosent need to be 100% tight and neat. 

• I think that women in the armed forces should have a hair code. Women are ordered to wear their hair high to keep it from getting in the way of operations. If they violate this rule; they (Like men) will be forced to cut their hair. The military has strict dress codes because everyone is equal to each other there. There should be no hairstyle variation. 

• Yes, I see where your coming from but no hair variation could lead to a form of alopecia. 

• I think that women in the military should have a "hair code" for how they can and can not wear thier hair. I think that their job is important to look professinal is it is kinda a tradition. I think that they should have less rules and a few more options though. 

• Yes, I also think that having more options could be beneficial.

• I think that their hair should be kept the same because it helps keep their hair out of their face. If they have it down it could get in the way of training or be a pain or bother to them if they are trying to learn. Keeping their hair slick back and up gives them a more respectful and serious look. 

• Yes it does keep it out of their face and that dosnt seem to bother them.

• I think that they should keep their hair the way it is. Having it in a slick backed pony or bun keeps their hair out of their face. If they have it down or any other way they would be messing with it and it would be in their face and bothering them. It doesn't distract them when it is up and it doesn't hurt them having it up like that.

• You made a good point by saying that it would be messing with them.

• I think it should be the way it is, slick back in a bun with gel to keep haris down. I think its a great way to keep their hair up and out of their way so when they are doing things it doesnt come out where they need to fix it. For example if you have a high poney tail its going to get in your face if you have your head down or something.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker