Wisconsin woman burned by her fitbit

A Wisconsin woman, Dina Mitchell, was using her fitbit while reading one night when is suddenly caught on fire. "I was literally just sitting and reading when my Fitbit exploded,” Mitchell told ABC News in an emailed statement on Sunday. "It was either defective or really mad I was sitting still so long… I don’t know. Either way, It burned the heck out of my arm." She ripped the fitbit off her arm while it was still on fire. Mitchell said her doctor had to pick pieces of plastic and rubber out of her arm after the incident.

PHOTO: Dina Mitchell of Wisconsin shows her arm after suffering from second-degree burns.

(Dina Mitchell's arm after the fitbit caught fire)

Read More

Questions

What would you have done after something like this happened?

What do you think caused the fitbit to catch on fire?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Be sure to capitalize words in your title and also include your thoughts into your summary. Be sure to reply more frequently as well. Good topic!

• Well, first off, i'd take off the fitbit immediately, and run my arm under cold water, to ease the pain. It could have been the battery or the wiring could be the cause of it catching on fire. 

• I would have ripped it off and then pending on how the bad the burn is go to the doctor. I would also try to get some money from Fit Bit to try and Pay for the doctor bill. I think the battery could have been bad or wiring could have been bad.

• Wow that is crazy. I myself have a Fitbit and I have never had any problems with it. If I didn't already have one I defiantly wouldn't have bought one after that because it would freak me out. If I was here I would stop wearing it. I think there is many different reasons why this Fitbit could have started on fire. There could have been a lose wire or it had just been used to long and the wires just blew. 

• I would have thought this was crazy! Since I haven't heard of any other problems with the fitbit doing this, I wouldn't be too worried about other watches doing this, but I would have been pretty upset about the situation. The device could have just been a bad piece or maybe it was overheated.

• I would most likely sue the company because they have to have their products perfected by now and this should not happen. I think a bad battery could of made this explode and catch fire due to the acids in the battery placed in all fitbits.

• If this had happened to me, I would spread the word in order to make sure others were aware of it, which could prevent it from happening again. IF something serious would have happened, there is a high chance that the company could have been sued. The fitbit was probably defective or just got overheated. If my fitbit exploded, I would avoid buying another one.

• I would have been very confused and angry, and definitely would have asked for a re-fund, and possibly not buy another fit bit.  I think that the fit bit could have possibly overheated and just caught on fire from all the wires and stuff getting to hot.

• I would freak out and yell because of the pain, but then I would go to the doctor to make sure my arm is okay. I don't know, it was probably a defect with the wiring being bad of some sort.

• Sued the company that made the fit bit for injury and emotional damage. I think it was probably defective and the battery overheated and com busted causing the woman to receive some pretty nasty battle scars. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker