Wisconsin woman burned by her fitbit

A Wisconsin woman, Dina Mitchell, was using her fitbit while reading one night when is suddenly caught on fire. "I was literally just sitting and reading when my Fitbit exploded,” Mitchell told ABC News in an emailed statement on Sunday. "It was either defective or really mad I was sitting still so long… I don’t know. Either way, It burned the heck out of my arm." She ripped the fitbit off her arm while it was still on fire. Mitchell said her doctor had to pick pieces of plastic and rubber out of her arm after the incident.

PHOTO: Dina Mitchell of Wisconsin shows her arm after suffering from second-degree burns.

(Dina Mitchell's arm after the fitbit caught fire)

Read More

Questions

What would you have done after something like this happened?

What do you think caused the fitbit to catch on fire?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would have called and maybe even sued the Fitbit company. Maybe the fitbit overheated somehow. And like the woman said, maybe the fitbit didn't like that she was being still for so long. 

• I probably would've been very upset about this incident- however, I feel that Mitchell handled the situation very well.  I, too, would have immediately taken the Fitbit off of my arm and gone to the hospital if I felt my injuries were bad enough.  I'm not sure if I would go as far as to sue the company, but I suppose I would if my injuries were bad enough. I know there are some electrical components of a Fitbit, so I think it probably just overheated. 

• i would go buy another one. one reason the  fitbit  caught on fire could be over heating it and ignoring the warning that it sends out that tells you that you fitbit is to hot stop using it.

• I would probably stop using the products until there was reassurance from the company that the problem was complete safe. There could have been a numerous amount of reasons, it got to hot, the battery was defective, the device as a whole was defective, it could have been second hand and damaged, etc. 

• I would stop using devices like this one. The fit bit was probably older and used. It might be like the hover boards and just be a defect.

• I agree with you about not wearing one after something like this happened. I would also sue them for this incident and get them to pay for the medical bills. I agree that it was just a malfunction/defect that caused this.

• I would probably sue fitbit for what happened to cover the costs of treatment for my arm. I think maybe it malfunctioned or something like that. 

• I would also sue them for this incident and get them to pay for the medical bills. I agree that it was a malfunction that caused this.

• I would of wanted some money and then some to pay for the doctors and troubles. I think it was just a freak deal and it overheated I feel that it had to of gotten very hot before it exploded. 

• I would have definitely reacted the same way she did. I would have ripped it off my arm. This is definitely a scary thing considering I have a fitness bracelet as well> I would have sued the company or at the very least want them to take care of my medical bills. I bet it was a malfunction in the bracelet I don't know what else would have caused that. It could of overheated but she probably would've felt the heat on her wrist.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker