Wisconsin woman burned by her fitbit

A Wisconsin woman, Dina Mitchell, was using her fitbit while reading one night when is suddenly caught on fire. "I was literally just sitting and reading when my Fitbit exploded,” Mitchell told ABC News in an emailed statement on Sunday. "It was either defective or really mad I was sitting still so long… I don’t know. Either way, It burned the heck out of my arm." She ripped the fitbit off her arm while it was still on fire. Mitchell said her doctor had to pick pieces of plastic and rubber out of her arm after the incident.

PHOTO: Dina Mitchell of Wisconsin shows her arm after suffering from second-degree burns.

(Dina Mitchell's arm after the fitbit caught fire)

Read More

Questions

What would you have done after something like this happened?

What do you think caused the fitbit to catch on fire?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I also would have done the same as you after the fitbit started on fire. I also agree with you about sueing the company or at least get them to pay for the medical bills. I also agree with you about the malfunction, but I think she could have been to absorb into whatever she was reading not to notice the heat.

• I would've sued the company that makes fit bit. I don't know, possibly the device over heating for some reason. 

• I agree with with you about sueing the company about this incident. I also agree with you about the fitbit overheating.

• I would have probably done the same thing she did, but I would probably file a lawsuit to the Fitbit company, especially if I needed a lot of medical treatment. I assume the fitbit had some sort of defect to it that caused it to explode.

• I would have sued them because this device harmed this person and this person could get lots of money from the company. The fitbit probably had a malfunction which caused it to start on fire. 

• I agree with you about sueing the company over this problem. I agree about the malfunction because it could have made the fitbit start to overheat and start on fire.

• I would be very worried if I were to wear one because it could happen to anyone. I think the fit bit could have had so manufacturer problems or over heating etc. 

• I also would be hesitant to wear one after this happened. I agree that it had probably over heated

• I probably would file a complaint to the Fitbit company or sue them for putting me and other people in danger. I think maybe the Fitbit got too overheated from being used all the time and it just exploded. I would be extremely mad if my Fitbit exploded and started on fire and burned me.

• I would have done the same as you if it happened to me. I agree with you that was what had happened to make the fitbit catch fire.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker