Teen mental health experts are focusing on the new hit show "13 Reasons Why", because of it's relation to suicide. The protagonist of the story kills herself and leaves behind 13 tapes which each talks about a specific persons actions that caused her to make the decision to end her life. The show has been very popular and the experts are concerned that it romanticizes suicide. "Had I been watching that as the vulnerable, fragile kid that I was when I was 13 or 14, I might have watched that and thought, -'Oh, that's the easy way out. This is going to get me the attention that I need. This is what I have to do,'" said 19-year-old Alexa Curtis, the founder of Media Impact and Navigation for Teens. "I can't say that there is a group of people that 'shouldn't' watch this show. I think it is more important how people watch it, with whom, and how it is processed afterward," Eric Beeson, a licensed professional counselor who serves as an online faculty member at The Family Institute at Northwestern University, saidSchool districts across the country (including the Shawnee Mission School District in Kansas and Montclair Public Schools in New Jersey) are sending letters to parents about the suicide-related content on the show. Curtis hopes that "13 Reasons Why" will encourage young people to speak out about personal struggles and not view suicide as "a way out." 

I've only seen few episodes, because I read something like this before I had seen any of them and that made me not want to support the show, but eventually I got curious. I feel like the most vulnerable people should not watch the show, because the show it self might not trigger the suicide but it may cause an butterfly effect. I think schools should send out a letter regarding the show and its content, especially if the area's suicide stats etc. are high.

Read the full article here.

1. Have you watched the show? If yes, do you think the experts are on to something when they say the show might cause more suicides?

2. Do you think schools across the country and more specifically our school should send out a letter addressing the content of the show? Why or why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Do you think that any schools shouldn't address suicide at all even though the suicide rates might be high in that area? Do you think parents would find out that their kid is watching this show in every house hold, so they could control it? I think every one is not on social media and some parents might be completely oblivious to this show.

• No I have never seen the show, but I think the experts may be right about the suicide chances. Yes because it could tell the parents that might not know about it and the parents can act about the way they want.

• Yes, I've seen the show. I can understand why experts are seeing it could trigger feelings in certain people. Although this could cause problems, not everyone is affected the same way so it might only affect the people who take it that way. I think that parents should be acknowledged of what's being watched and what shows contain. I also think schools and parents should watch for signs of suicide and get help. 

• I have watched this show before. I think that people who do have trouble with this situation should seek help and not watch this show. People who are okay should be able to watch this show. I think that the school should only send a letter out if there is a lot of trouble at their school and if kids are actually talking about doing something to themselves. 

• I have not watched all episodes of the show yet. I started it but then everyone hyped about it, so I stopped watching it after a couple episodes. You can't control if a show (/book) can trigger suicide. I think that it depends on the person watching it. As a vulnerable teenager you might think that like you said suicide is the easy way out. I also think though that the book/ show makes people more aware of mobbing and suicide. It might have a positive or a negative affect on the people watching it, but I think it's a good idea of schools to make parents aware of the content of the show. That might seem annoying for some people but it might save a life, and that makes it totally worth it.

• I agree. Everybody is different and it all depends on the situation you are in. If I was someone who was at a vulnerable stage in life I think watching this show would make me see how it would affect other people if I were to end my life. In the show you see how much the people on the tapes life changed because they were on the tape. Poor Clay was hurt so much because Hannah ended her life. 

• Yes i have seen all the episode so far. I think it depends on the person and how they view the show. I think someone people might watch this and relaize its that easy to end their life and others might realize they have more to live for. I think school sending a letter wouldn't be the worst idea

• yes, I have watched this show and I liked it. I hope is shows people that not everyone's life is like your. Some people have tough times and people don't know. I hope people will be nice to other and treat them with respect.  

• 1. Yes, I've seen the show. I can definitely see where experts are  seeing as this show could trigger feelings in certain people. Although this could cause problems, not everyone is affected the same way so it might only affect the people who take it that way. 

2. I think that it might be a little helpful just to make the parents knowledgeable of what's being watched. This could help but most parents can't control that their kids can access Netflix and the show anywhere.  I think it might help the parents watch out though for signs of suicide if their kids are getting this way.

• I agree with you. It's hard for the parents to control their kid's life 24/7, but at least by sending the letter they might be more prepared for the signs and how to react to the situation. Do you think that the show can prevent someone for committing suicide after seeing that it isn't that easy after all?

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker