Teen mental health experts are focusing on the new hit show "13 Reasons Why", because of it's relation to suicide. The protagonist of the story kills herself and leaves behind 13 tapes which each talks about a specific persons actions that caused her to make the decision to end her life. The show has been very popular and the experts are concerned that it romanticizes suicide. "Had I been watching that as the vulnerable, fragile kid that I was when I was 13 or 14, I might have watched that and thought, -'Oh, that's the easy way out. This is going to get me the attention that I need. This is what I have to do,'" said 19-year-old Alexa Curtis, the founder of Media Impact and Navigation for Teens. "I can't say that there is a group of people that 'shouldn't' watch this show. I think it is more important how people watch it, with whom, and how it is processed afterward," Eric Beeson, a licensed professional counselor who serves as an online faculty member at The Family Institute at Northwestern University, saidSchool districts across the country (including the Shawnee Mission School District in Kansas and Montclair Public Schools in New Jersey) are sending letters to parents about the suicide-related content on the show. Curtis hopes that "13 Reasons Why" will encourage young people to speak out about personal struggles and not view suicide as "a way out." 

I've only seen few episodes, because I read something like this before I had seen any of them and that made me not want to support the show, but eventually I got curious. I feel like the most vulnerable people should not watch the show, because the show it self might not trigger the suicide but it may cause an butterfly effect. I think schools should send out a letter regarding the show and its content, especially if the area's suicide stats etc. are high.

Read the full article here.

1. Have you watched the show? If yes, do you think the experts are on to something when they say the show might cause more suicides?

2. Do you think schools across the country and more specifically our school should send out a letter addressing the content of the show? Why or why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, I have watched the show. It depends on the person who is watching the show in my opinion. But, the show should help with suicide prevention, and how to respect your peers. I don't think a letter is necessary. The letter will keep parents and relatives aware, but not stop anyone from any thoughts. 

• You said that a letter isn't necessary, but do you think that it's necessary for parents and close ones to know about the subject? That might help, if they notice the signs early enough and can help the person in need. I feel like the relatives should at least be aware of the shows content, because that can help a lot even if they don't even realize it.

• Yes I have watched the show and I do think that the experts are on to something because things like that do happen in real life. It is hard to always stick up for yourself and it shows the signs plus how help was needed. I don't think younger kids or even kids that these events have happened to should watch the show because it might give them wrong feelings. I think that schools should send out a letter of the content of the show if it is becoming a big problem. 

• No I haven't. I don't believe sending something out to the school will control whether or not students watch the show. Students can still watch the show. 

• I know that sending a letter out might not control what the kids watch, but it might help spread the awareness of the subject. Do you think if you were a parent and received a letter like that it might be helpful or would you be grateful if you were oblivious to the subject before and now you can maybe help your kid?

• I have watched the show, while many of the critics do have a point, I don't think that this would give anyone of isn't depressed or suicidal any thoughts. However, for people who are vulnerable I could see why this show could cause problems.  I don't really think sending out a letter would do any good. Yes, it would keep people informed, but its not going to stop someone from watching the show.

• I agree with you, but do you think that having the information might help someone for example a parent to help their kid or someone else? The vulnerable are subjects to all kind of stimulants and triggers  all the time. Do you think that the show should have some kind of trigger warning?

• I have seen a few of the episodes. I think the experts have a good point and maybe it could cause more suicides, but for other people, this show would show how it would affect people around them. Others, this show won't effect them in any way. I don't think that the schools should send out anything about the show because they will just watch it anyway. 

• I agree, that the show can be eye opening to all sides. I feel like many people might have an "awakening" when watching this show. Do you think that now after the show got so popular, other students might consider their own actions, for example bullies? 

• I have watched the show. I don't really think that the show would give someone who isn't depressed or suicidal a way out. I do agree that some vulnerable people may use it to their advantage. I also believe that it might show those contemplating suicide how it would affect their friends and family and make them re-think their decision. If I was a parent receiving this letter, I wouldn't give it much thought. We can't stop kids from watching it, and a letter won't help anything.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker