Teen mental health experts are focusing on the new hit show "13 Reasons Why", because of it's relation to suicide. The protagonist of the story kills herself and leaves behind 13 tapes which each talks about a specific persons actions that caused her to make the decision to end her life. The show has been very popular and the experts are concerned that it romanticizes suicide. "Had I been watching that as the vulnerable, fragile kid that I was when I was 13 or 14, I might have watched that and thought, -'Oh, that's the easy way out. This is going to get me the attention that I need. This is what I have to do,'" said 19-year-old Alexa Curtis, the founder of Media Impact and Navigation for Teens. "I can't say that there is a group of people that 'shouldn't' watch this show. I think it is more important how people watch it, with whom, and how it is processed afterward," Eric Beeson, a licensed professional counselor who serves as an online faculty member at The Family Institute at Northwestern University, saidSchool districts across the country (including the Shawnee Mission School District in Kansas and Montclair Public Schools in New Jersey) are sending letters to parents about the suicide-related content on the show. Curtis hopes that "13 Reasons Why" will encourage young people to speak out about personal struggles and not view suicide as "a way out." 

I've only seen few episodes, because I read something like this before I had seen any of them and that made me not want to support the show, but eventually I got curious. I feel like the most vulnerable people should not watch the show, because the show it self might not trigger the suicide but it may cause an butterfly effect. I think schools should send out a letter regarding the show and its content, especially if the area's suicide stats etc. are high.

Read the full article here.

1. Have you watched the show? If yes, do you think the experts are on to something when they say the show might cause more suicides?

2. Do you think schools across the country and more specifically our school should send out a letter addressing the content of the show? Why or why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and well done!!

• I in fact have watched the show because everyone was talking about it. The experts have a wonderful point about the show. It is not something to joke about and it could potentially create more ideas. I highly believe that schools should be taking a step to send out letters or emails about the show and more about suicide awareness. Hopefully this would get the parents involved, especially if the child is watching the show. 

• No I haven;t but I don't think the show should be banned or anything because there is freedom of speech in our country that should allow a tv show to show whatever they want that stays within the written guidelines. No because parents should handle that stuff if there is any problems. 

• I have watch a few episodes of the show, and I personally think that this show is making it seem that suicide is an okay thing to do. I think it's sort of romanticizing suicide, like you make these tapes, then people are going to suddenly pay attention and then finally realize that something is wrong.  That's not how real life works. People don't do this. I think they should notify parents and guardians should know about this show. 

• No I have not ever watched this show, I don't really watch much Television.  I don't really know. I feel like it is more important to emphasis in the family whether or not the show is OK to watch. I feel like at risk people should not watch the show but as far as schools getting involved I feel like it's not really the schools place. 

• 1) Yes, I have watched every episode of 13 Reasons Why and I believe it COULD give off the wrong idea to younger audiences but overall, is an accurate reality.

2) I don't think sending out letters would be needed or even make students read the letters. It would most likely be ignored and wouldn't affect how students see the show.

• I have not seen the show myself but, i was actually recommended to watch the show. I don't think the show might cause "more suicides" because once you have suicidal thoughts, nothing can make it go away or make it worst. Being considered one of those " wrong people" before, i know that the show visualizes so much more than what normal people would understand and i think it should actually be shown in schools because what might not seem like a big deal to others might be a big deal to the person in front of you. it doesn't "romanticize" suicide at all and the fact that she was brave enough to come out and tell them her reasons just makes her brave. they just didn't catch her in time to save her. i have read the reviews and skip through the book pages and she shows some pretty silence signs that no one might have caught. school's should do what they think is going to be right for the kids and even have the parents watch it with their kids and talk more about the subject.

• Ive seen a few episodes of 13 reasons why but it think that the experts are partly right because someone could see this and think its the way out. I dont think we would need to send out letters because we dont have problems with it but their could be actions taken to talk about it.

• I have watched this show and i do kind of think that this will bring people to start recording tapes in real life. People might feel it is okay to record tapes because no we can tell people its their faults but never move one. I don't think it should be that personal to send out letters, just give the kid a talk if they seem depressed.

• I have not seen the show so I don't know. I think that that is up to the schools if they feel they need to send something out then they should. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker