Why aren't kids being taught cursive anymore?

The concept of writing in cursive came from the ancient Romans when in the 5th century they started writing in “flowed like modern cursive”. People that were in different professions would write differently, the same as men and women. 

In 2010 they dropped the requirement to teach students cursive. Since we have computers and we can just type out the words there was no need to be writing in different fonts and styles. Then we started practicing in school how to type fast and accurately. 

Writing in cursive is faster when you actually know how to write in it. It offers a life skill for students that can help with note taking, test taking and motor skills. Except for students who are just being tested on if they know the information, not on how they are writing. Researchers have found that writing by hand in general can help you recall what you are writing about. People are worried that when we get older we won’t be able to sign our name which commonly is in cursive, but print is acceptable. 

I think that it would be important for us to know how to write and read in cursive but if we don’t it’s not going to affect us greatly. 

Do you think it should still be required to be taught cursive?

Do you remember how to write in cursive?

Should Schools Bring Back Cursive Handwriting? | Reader's Digest

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think it is very important or nessesary to take cursive . Now that our generations are learning not to use cursive as much, a very low amount of the population is able to actually read and write with cursive.  I kind of remember, but I know that I have only applied it in the real world once

• I think that it is important for kids to know how to read and write in cursive because they may have to read something and they won't know what it says. Most grandparents write in cursive and it would be benificial. I don't.

• I remeber very vividly learning and writing in cursive. I don't really wright in cursive anymore because writing normally is slightly easier and I'm better able to read regular writing faster. I think that cursive shouldn't be required but should at least be optional for kids that want to learn how to write in cursive. 

• I think that students shouldn't be taught cursive in schools because cursive is really just used to write your name for signatures. I do know how to write in cursive but it is very slopy because of the lack of practice. I feel that it isn't really necessary for students just to know how to write cursive.

• I think that students should have to be required to learn cursive. Most of the time when students learn cursive they don't remember how to write cursive after a few years. I think that it would be a good think to learn but have to be required to teach it in schools. 

• I think it shouldn't be required, but kids should still be able to learn their signature in cursive for checks and other important things they have to sign. Its not something kids use a lot in normal writing these days. I can be difficult to read and write. I remeber learning it and i struggled with it, but now I barley use it. 

• I personally do not think that it should be required for students to learn how to write in cursive anymore. I do not think that it is necessary to take time out of the school day which could be used for other subjects to learn a dead skill. I do still remember how to write in cursive since I often do.

• I think the biggest reason no one teaches cursive anymore is becasue aside from your signiture why wouldn't you just right using regular righting. I think we should at least learn our names in cursive for signing a paper or other important topics. 

• I think it shouldn’t be required but it should be included as a choice of if you want to take it or not because at my old school they hardly taught us how to write in cursive, for one we learned how to do it in like kindergarten or first grade. At the time they only gave us a piece of paper and said to trace the dotted lines with a different letter every day, and for me, it did nothing I still can’t write in cursive.  I believe that it is essential so you can know how to write your signature correctly when you have to sign something important.

• I think we should be taught cursive because some students don't have good handwriting. However, learning how to write in cursive could improve their handwriting. I remember how to write in cursive, but I never use it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker