Why aren't kids being taught cursive anymore?

The concept of writing in cursive came from the ancient Romans when in the 5th century they started writing in “flowed like modern cursive”. People that were in different professions would write differently, the same as men and women. 

In 2010 they dropped the requirement to teach students cursive. Since we have computers and we can just type out the words there was no need to be writing in different fonts and styles. Then we started practicing in school how to type fast and accurately. 

Writing in cursive is faster when you actually know how to write in it. It offers a life skill for students that can help with note taking, test taking and motor skills. Except for students who are just being tested on if they know the information, not on how they are writing. Researchers have found that writing by hand in general can help you recall what you are writing about. People are worried that when we get older we won’t be able to sign our name which commonly is in cursive, but print is acceptable. 

I think that it would be important for us to know how to write and read in cursive but if we don’t it’s not going to affect us greatly. 

Do you think it should still be required to be taught cursive?

Do you remember how to write in cursive?

Should Schools Bring Back Cursive Handwriting? | Reader's Digest

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think cursive should be required. It definitely is cool to know how to write it, but it isnt as importnant anymore. I think the class should b e available for students if there are enough that want to take the class. Cursive isn't as imporant now than it was in earlier years.

• I don't think cursive should be required to be taught, alot of the activities/assignments we do are over the computer. The only times I really use cursive is if I'm writing fast or signing my name. 

• I dont think that it is very important for kids now a days to learn cursive. The only time I have ever used cursive is when I sign my name. When I sign my name I usually just write the first letter in cursive and then the rest just looks like a scribble.

• I think that writing cursive should not be required becasue most people do not use cursive to sign checks or anything anymore. I think that technology has gotten better to the fact that we wont need cursive anymore if everything becomes online. 

• I agree because you can sign your signature in print and some people do there first letter then scribble anyways. Alot of stuff is on computers and stuff.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker