What Should The Legal Drinking Age Be?

Most places in the United States have their legal drinking age set for 21 since the Drinking Age Act was passed in 1984. Ever since then it hasn't changed that much only with some smaller states changing it to higher or lower it. However, currently it is set for 21  no younger and no older for all 50 states in the US. Some have argued it should be lowered to 18 because it will actually help lower death rates and binge drinking in younger teens. Some also argue it should be highered.

Many argue that if you lower the MLDA (Minimum Legal Drinking Age) to 18 then it can lower binge drinking in underage youth and encourage responsible drinking habits. Lowering the MLDA will normalize good and responsible drinking habits among the youth. Those are some of the reasons why we should lower the minimum drinking age to 18.

However, some argue that lowering the legal drinking age to 21 would be bad for the youth and have more deaths by drinking rise. According to the cdc, "Excessive drinking contributes to more than 3,900 deaths among people below the age of 21 in the U.S. each year". 

https://tinyurl.com/stephens-edu

https://tinyurl.com/cdcalcoholfactssheet

What age do you think the MLDA should be at?

Do you plan on consuming alcohol when your older?

What is your opinions on drinking age?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good summary Alex! The issue is that you didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points.

• I think that the drinking age should stay at the same legal age of 21. I believe that age 18 is not bad and you're an adult. But at age 21 is better because your brain if more developed. So I belive that the age should be 21. 

• the legal derinkinbg age should be 18 in my belives since there is a low percent in studies that people have brain loss from drinking at the age of 21. I think that everydwhere in the world should be the age of 18, I do not see anything wrong unless abused.

• I think that the drinking age should be 18. You are a full-grown adult, and by that time, most teens are drinking anyways. I do plan on drinking alcohol when I'm older, but that's my decision. I am the one that has to make it and make sure I am safe when doing so. 

• I think that the legal drinking age should be 18 because when you're 18 you are kind of an adult. When you're 18 you are able to do a lot of things so you should be able to make your own decisions. I think that it could be bad because more underage drinking will occur though.

• I think that the legal drinking age in the US should stay where it's currently at, in my personal opinion. I don't see the benefits of lowering it any further, because the brain is still developing during those years before the age of twenty-one.

• In my personal opinion, I believe that the legal drinking age in the United States of America should stay where it currently is at twenty-one years of age. I do not really see any of the benefits to lower it any further than it already is, as the brain is still developing in those younger years.

• I think that the legal drinking age should stay at 21. I personally won't drink or consume alcohol when I am older. Personally, I don't agree with drink so I think that it should be banned in general but I know that wont go well with some people so it should stay at the age of 21.

• I think that the drinking age should be 21 still. The brain is still developing if you drink any earlier and I will NOT be a heavy drinker when I grow up. If i have kids i don't want to set a bad influence on them by getting super drunk and being an idiot around them.

• I personally believe that the legal drinking age should stay the same because people's brains are still deveolping and it would be even worse if we lowered it down to 18. Also if people are going to drink their is nothing that is really stoping them from doing it anyways.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker